Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 and Upgrade Media

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:40 AM

I heard something interesting on a podcast, This Week in Tech ep. 203. They said that in order to upgrade to an edition of Windows 7 using an upgrade media and license, one needs to have a licensed and activated copy Windows XP or greater installed on a PC. This means that the RC could be upgraded (A clean install would still be required) and the users who participated in the RC testing would be eligible for upgrade pricing. They further went on to explain that Microsoft is aware of this and may not change it.

Chron TechBlog - A major Windows 7 upgrade question gets an answer

3939.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:40 AM

Ooooooooooooopppppps,

In other words, it's all about activation. The Windows 7 upgrade disk will need to see a valid activation - and that can include an activated copy of the release candidate - before it will install the operating system.

This should make life somewhat easier for those running the Windows 7 Release Candidate - so long as they don't have to do a reinstall later.

I am pretty sure it's all about voiding the liscense on the previous version of windows.

Edited by DaChew, 25 July 2009 - 01:43 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 09:51 PM

Microsoft can easily plug this hole if they wanted to buy altering the installer so it would look for compatible versions of Windows, but not the 7 RC.

3939.png

#4 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:08 AM

Hmmmm, debating what I'm going to do. I just installed Windows 7 64bit RC....lost my old RAID array and figured I may as well update my computer (e.g. new CPU, GPU, system HD and MOBO) before I recover my data.

On one hand, nice to see I can get by with the ugprade and save some $. On the other hand...at what point will we no longer be able to activate Windows XP?

If I don't respond within 2 days, please feel free to PM me.
Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:02 PM

XP leaves mainstream support in 2014, but I'm not sure if they will stop activations then.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users