Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EFi-X, Has Anyone Used This?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:46 PM

Here's the story, the EFi-X is a BPU (Boot Processing Unit) internal USB dongle. The unit allows users to install Mac OS X on EFI-X approved, non-Apple-manufactured PC hardware. From what I can tell, it sidesteps the BIOS and fools OS X into believing it is on an Apple PC. This means a legal, licensed copy of the OS can be installed and updated normally. I first learned about it watching Tekzilla. Here is a link to the specific episode, the segment about the device begins at 9:30. I was wondering if anyone on these boards has the EFi-X. If so, what has your experience been? For those who do not have the devices, what are your thoughts?

EFi-X - Official Website <<<You may need to hit the reload button to make the giant flash navigation image to appear.

3939.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:02 AM

If I wanted to run OS X on a PC I would just use "Hackintosh" :thumbsup:
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:48 AM

Agreed. Sounds like a shaky setup to me; are you doing this just for kicks to see if it can be done, or what's the reason?

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:23 AM

Patrick Norton researches his material pretty well although he may skip over a few things when presenting his pieces
I'd probably try it if I had the OS lying around
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:12 PM

Artticle from the link,

"Hackintosh Desktop Build"

About any C2D [or so] desktop will run 'hackintosh"

http://lifehacker.com/348653/install-os-x-...acking-required

There is no need for added anything .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:28 PM

Ok, I just did a little reading.
The "EFi-X" is nothing but a bootloader program on a internal USB device.

I guess it's nice if a person is into gimmic gadgets that take the place of a utility that can be had for free & installed directly to the hard drive.

If I were going to have a multiboot unit [which I do at times] I'd just go with the default boot selection .

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:47 PM

Apple computers use specific motherboards and equipment. You cannot just put together a PC and throw OS X on it and expect it to install. You have to hack the OS, often in command-line. Even then, you may not be able to download updates from Apple. The device saves a great deal of time. I've been watching and reading Norton's shows and articles for many years. He researches his material carefully, and Colleen certainly knows what she's doing.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users