Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Application errors after trojan with XP Pro

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 yamasmack

yamasmack

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:01 PM

I'm new here so bear with me.

I tried to defrag my hard drive and the defragmenter would not start so I tried to do a system restore but there weren't any restore points and I couldn't create any restore points. The etrust anti-virus was not picking anything up so I disabled it and installed pctools spyware doctor w/ anti-virus and it picked up "trojan.fakealert". I proceeded to fix the infected files and spyware doctor said something about some programs may be affected by removing some files. I wanted to get rid of the trojan so I continued with the fix. Now I'm getting error message after error message. One of them is "application error", "agent.exe", "memory could not be read", followed by "exception eaccess violation", "pctgmhk.dll", followed by "runtime error". Another application error is "wuauclt.exe" with "memory could not be read". There have been many others but I haven't taken note. I get "the program encountered a problem and could not continue" errors allot and they are mostly related to internet explorer. Now my speaker stopped working except for a beep whenever an error message occurs. I checked "sounds and audio devices" in the control panel and it says "an audio device is not installed". I don't know what to do other than using the "drivers and windows utilities" disk that came with the computer to restore the whole thing which I would rather not do. My computer is a Dell Vostro 1710 with Windows XP Pro.

Thanks in advance,

JT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:50 AM

I would say you are still suffering from an active infestation or side effects.

Instead of offering my .02, I think someone will move your problem or suggest you do it to the Am I Infected Forum for the best eyeballs and minds to analyze and give you the best advice.

While you are waiting, here are some other respectable scanners to run:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

I would stand by for advice...

Edited by joseibarra, 22 July 2009 - 05:54 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 yamasmack

yamasmack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:44 AM

I scanned with SUPERAnti-spyware as suggested and it came back with two other trojans, "trojan.backdoor" and "trojan.spy", these names are not exact but hopefully you know what they are. I removed them and SUPERAnti-spyware required a system reboot, I did that but I'm still getting the same problems.

I also posted it in the other forum so it's in both places.

JT

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:50 AM

If you have an open post in any of the malware forums...you should not be contemplating making changes based on inputs from a different forum.

I am suggesting that one of the BC administrators close this post, at least for the time being...until the malware issues are resolved.

Louis

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:41 PM

Topic closed for now to avoid confusion. If the original poster this needs this topic to be reopened please PM any moderator.

Assistance being given here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1351074

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users