Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lagging PC & disappearing local disks

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mzrachel

mzrachel

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:58 PM

Hi there, I have a Windows XP SP2. Just recently, when I turn on my computer, it takes FOREVER to load windows. It probably takes 10 minutes for it to get to the I login screen and it usually never takes that long. Also, my start button/task bar is lagging also. Everything else seems to be working fine...it's not slow when I use the internet or programs just when I close the program the task bar lags and it'll take a few minutes for me to click on the other windows because it becomes temporarily frozen. When I click on things on the start button, it doesn't highlight the item my mouse is on...it opens but takes a little bit longer than usual. I already scanned my computer with Malwarebytes and Ad-aware. With my first scan of malwarebytes, it already got rid of the c:/resycled virus, a trojan, autorun.inf, and I think that's about it. Now, nothing infected comes up when I scan my computer with both programs but it still lags a lot! Do you guys have any suggestions to why it's STILL slow? I might not have completely gotten rid of the malware, that's what I think, but the thing that's bothering me is that nothing comes up as infected anymore. Oh and another problem is that local disk E & F suddenly disappeared! The icons are still there but when I click on them now it freezes but I remember before when it first happened that it said there was nothing in them!! This happened months ago...I was asking my brother to fix it but never really got to it. Is there any way I can get them back? Any ideas? Thank you! Help is appreciated :thumbsup:

Edited by mzrachel, 21 July 2009 - 08:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:08 AM

Hello while you're here please Rerun MBAM like this: There will probably be other things to do but we could use a log to start. Even the old infected one will help also.

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan.
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 mzrachel

mzrachel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:29 PM

Hi again! I updated Malwarebytes and once again, no viruses detected. Here's my old log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.39
Database version: 2468
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

7/20/2009 5:41:42 PM
mbam-log-2009-07-20 (17-41-42).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 190208
Time elapsed: 57 minute(s), 46 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 1
Files Infected: 4

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\extravideo (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
C:\resycled (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
c:\WINDOWS\system32\msqpdxwolvymot.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\resycled\boot.com.vir (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\msqpdxowqupnma.sys (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\msqpdxtlvdpybw.sys (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

And here's the most recent log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.39
Database version: 2482
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

7/22/2009 7:17:00 PM
mbam-log-2009-07-22 (19-17-00).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 94257
Time elapsed: 11 minute(s), 13 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

I also scanned my computer with AVG and nothing came up but when I scanned it with Trend Micro Housecall, the autorun.inf virus came up. The program crashed so I tried looking for the file instead and can't find it.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,072 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:13 PM

OK run this and check again. If you had a Flash drive ,USB drive etc... connected to this run it on that and any other PC it connected to.

Download and Run FlashDisinfector

You have a flash drive infection. These worms travel through your portable drives. If they have been connected to other machines, they may now be infected.
Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives including your mobile phone. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as

well.
Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
Reboot your computer when done.

Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this

folder. It will help protect your drives from future infection.

Edited by boopme, 22 July 2009 - 10:15 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 mzrachel

mzrachel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:14 AM

Wow thanks! Now I'm worried about all the computers I've hooked this USB to :thumbsup:

Is this autorun virus suppose to slow down my computer? If not, what do you suggest contributes to my computer being oddly slow? :/ Maybe it's not a virus after all? Can it be a hardware problem? Any helpful suggestions/tips would be appreciated. Thanks again!

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,072 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:45 AM

Well that certainly can be a cause also,read through this and see if anything is a cause.
Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users