Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What advice can you give me about the new very small computers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vlives

vlives

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:50 PM

I really only need the internet for checking my E-mail and to do such things as appy for jobs if that is needed, What do you think about those very small computers that they have come out with recently. Do those burn out quicker than the larger computers? I would welcome some advice...thanks....Virginia

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sonicjet

sonicjet

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:18 PM

Im guessing you are speaking of ITX based computers,well they don't have as good of cooling solution, so they normally use a cooler electionics setup,aka, slower setup, than that a same price mid tower based.

EDIT:If you are thinking of a netbook,(A micro laptop,about 10 inch screen),then its about the same story as above just the fact that they are even slower,as they have to run very cool and verrry efficient setups,such as an Intel atom cpu.
Personally if portability is a big issue then go right ahead and buy a netbook,but the sacrifices made to have a netbook,if you ask me,aren't worth it,they are so underpowered,that they need to run windows XP,they don't meet the Vista system requirements and are essentially locked into their current setup,It gets worse,the new windows 7 based netbooks will come with the worst version,starter basic,of which on you can't even change the background!
You can buy a full size,fully capable, vista notebook for $150 more
Itx based PC
netbook
Good priced full sized laptop.

Edited by sonicjet, 21 July 2009 - 07:36 PM.

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:59 PM

If all I needed a computer for is email & basic internet I'd get something that works right & let it ride !

I simply can't see spending $400.-500. or more for that kind of use.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:50 AM

Personal opinion on the netbooks.

I haven't found mine to be underpowered for what I use it for at all. It runs Dreamweaver without a hitch.

And one of the reasons I really like it is that it does have WinXP on it and not Vista.

#5 stealthchicken75

stealthchicken75

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:35 PM

If you're talking about the ITX machines that are basically just tiny desktops, you're essentially paying more money for less performance. They don't necessarily "burn out" quicker or anything like that. They just tend to be slower than standard desktop machines while not being any cheaper because you're paying extra money for the small form factor.

If you're talking about netbooks, well they're kind of the same way except they're portable and can be very cheap. I personally find netbooks to be ideal for people who just want to browse the web and check e-mail. They're not powerful machines but they are extremely portable, perfect for lounging in bed or on the couch. I recently bought a Dell Mini 9 and while it definitely won't win any performance awards I absolutely LOVE it for lying in bed and talking on MSN or watching Hulu. If I go on vacation I can easily take it with me so I can stay connected wherever I go, and at only 200$, nothing else was cheaper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users