Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi Cables problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Niion

Niion

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:14 PM

I was recently given a Belkin wi fi router so i could connect the other pc's in the house to the net.
but it turns out i recive my internet direct through an ethernet cable, and the router requires an ADSL line.
so my question is, is there such thing as an erthernet to dsl adaptor? or would i have to get a new router?
thanks all

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:47 PM

It's probably a combination ADSL modem-router, I've not heard of a DSL router.

Aaahhh...a little enlightenment, http://www.tech-faq.com/adsl-router.shtml. So what they call a router-modem, I call a DSL modem.

I would just get a real router (for cable connections, either wifi or not) and not try to use a DSL modem as a cable router.

Louis

#3 TheStalker

TheStalker

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:55 AM

it all depends on how you get your internet. From what you are saying sounds like you have cable (DSL).

ADSL is where you get your internet though a phone line which sounds like what the router you have is for.

i think your best bet is to sell the one you have and buy the right one.

have a look here on the pcworld website. You can see that the two diffrent types of routers BT(phone line) and cable.

The good news is that norm cables routers are a bit cheaper because they dont have the modem built in.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/editorial...e/?int=left_nav

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users