Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer screen gets all scrambled and locks up or computer restarts by it's self

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 emt6388

emt6388

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:44 PM

First of all if this is in the wrong spot please feel free to move it to the right location. I few weeks ago there was a poweroutage, no lighning, the lights flickered and the power was out for about an hour. My computer was on when this happened. The next morning when my wife tried to turn the computer on nothing happened. She talked to a woman that she worked with and her husband said that it probably was the power supply. I replace the pwer supply and the computer now turns on and everything works fine. Except when ver it feels like the screen goes all scrambled and the computer locks up. I restart the computer and everything works fine till it does it again. It also all of a sudden restarts by it's self. It seems to do it more but not limited to when it has my information to process like if working on a picture in photoshop or videos or playing games on facebook. I have taken the computer in to get fixed and they told me that they fixed it with a windows boot disk and it probably was a coryupt file. Five minutes after getting it home the same problem were still there. I live in a small town and it is really hard to get it back to the repair shop. It the computer is screwed that's fine i just don't want to spent a whole bunch of money for them to tell me the computer is pooched. Does anyone have any ideas obout what's going on with my computer. I have a HP Pavillion a820n with a 3.2 gig processor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:11 PM

Error messages?

Louis

#3 emt6388

emt6388
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:23 PM

No, there isn't any error messages. The screen just goes all scrambled and locks up the mouse dosen't work, Control, Alt, Delete dosen't work. Unplug it, restart it and then it works for a bit till it does it agian.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:24 PM

It sounds like a memory issue.
The unit has onboard video which uses system memory.
When the memory is intensly used it could be accessing a vad part & causing the issue.

Download memtest86

http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.5.iso.zip

Extract the ISO image from the zip file.

You will need a burning program , like Nero, that has the Burn image to disk feature.
Use it to burn the ymage to a disk.

[You can't just burn the ISO file to a disk like a data file.]

If you don't have a burning program with the "burn image to disk" feature download & install ISORecorder,

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/downloa...corderV2RC1.msi

Right click the ISO file
On the menu click Make disk, burn to disk, create disk [can't remember exact wording]

Once you have the CD made put it in the drive & boot the computer from the disk
Let memtest complete all tests at least once.
If it shows ANY errors, even 1, the memory is bad & needs to be replaced.

Memtest does not quit automatically.
I think there are 8 tests.
Once it finishes it will start over
You need to manually stop it
The easiest way is simply eject the disk & restart the unit.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 emt6388

emt6388
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:55 PM

I have burned the iso file to a CD with Magic ISO, How do I boot the computer from the disk? When you say if there is even 1 error with the momory it needs to be replaced. Are you taling about RAM? If not what?

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:01 PM

The computer has to be set to boot from the CD drive first in the BIOS
When you first turn the unit on tapping E1,F2, or Delete, [not sure which for yours] will get you in the BIOS

Look for buut priority or boot order & set it to CD first.

Yes, U mean RAM, AKA memory.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 emt6388

emt6388
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:49 PM

I am having trouble finding the BIOS. I have restartedthe computer twice once pressing F2 once Delete key I don't have a E1 Key "do you mean the E key and the 1 at the same time?" Both take me to a config screeen that asks me which OS to start Microsoft XP Home edition or Microsoft Windows Recovery console. I press F8 to get the options and it has a whole bunch of choices only "enable boot logging" has anything to do with the boot. Am I even in the right spot? Thanks foryour help

#8 emt6388

emt6388
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:03 PM

I think i found where i needed to go. I had to keep pressing ESC. I chose to load with the Cd but it just loads normally after.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,576 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:04 PM

FWIW:

Memtest86 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memtest Reasons why you use Memtest86+ Version.

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Outdated, but still useful, IMO:

Icrontic Diagnose with Memtest86+ - http://icrontic.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86

MemTest Manual - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html

Louis

#10 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:08 PM

My mistake.
E1 was a typo.
I ment F1

Sorry about that.
As a lame excuse , at the present time I am somewhat "sight challanged" .
I am scheduled for eye lens replacement surgery because of "nuclear cataracts"
[Cataracts in the lens of the eye instead of over the outside]

If it is too light in here I can't see very well so if I don't REALLY take my time I make a lot of typo's.
I have the brightness/contrast of my monitor turned way down ,Cleartype on, & the size of the text increased but I still have trouble seeinf [focusing] sometimes.

If you can't get the unit to boot off of the disk leave the disk in the drive
Open My Computer
Right click the CD drive & on the menu click Open
When the disk opens if you see a single file that looks like a cd disk [the iso file] you have burned the disk wrong & it will not work.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 21 July 2009 - 06:12 PM.

#11 emt6388

emt6388
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:25 PM

I figured out how to get to the Bios I had to keep pressing Esc. I ran the program and it says it passes with no errors. Do you have any other ideas of what this could be be. Thanks for taking the time to help me!

#12 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:38 PM

Actually I was hoping to see a post like, "Wow, The memory test showed a lot of errirs".

That would have been a easy fix.

Unfortunatly you have already eliminated to 2 easy fixes.
You have a new power supply & the memory is good.

That leaves the motherboard.

It sounds like the onboard video is failing, the Northbridge Chipset is damaged, or both .

The only way I know to proceed from here is to install a PCI video card since, according to the specs, you don't have a actual dedicated [AGP or PCI-E] video card slot.

If you don't use the unit for any "real" gaming an inexpensive PCI video card should fix the video problem & keep it going for awhile.

[Not a PCI-E video card ]

PCI video cards,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;Order=PRICE

#13 emt6388

emt6388
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:28 PM

Yeah I was kinda hoping it would be somthing simple like that. You said "It sounds like the onboard video is failing, the Northbridge Chipset is damaged, or both" If I install aPCI video card will it fix it if the chipset is dammaged or just if it is the onboard video. Second question is this somthing that I could install or is it something that I should be taking to someone that knows what they are doing? Could the failing onboard video cause the system to crash when the video is not being used. It even crashes when i my email sometimes.

#14 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:01 PM

If the Northbridge chipset is damaged eventuall other thing would fail until the unit is unusable.
The NB chipset controls the CPU, memory & Video .

If the onboard video chip is damaged a video card would fix it.

The thing is, it's kind of hard to determine which it is.

At this point you have 4 options

1. replace the motherboard
2. try a video card
3. Use it like it is till it dies
4. buy a new computer

Personally I'd buy a inexpensive PCI video card & hope for yje best.
With just a bit of luck it will last a long time.
A video caqrd is easy to install.

Disable the onboard video in the device3 manager
turn it off & unplug it
Remove the side cover
Determine which little slot cover lines up with the top PCI slot & remove it [usually 1 phillips screw]
Insert the video card in the PCI slot until it is seated
Put the screw in to hold it
Replace the side cover
Plug it in & allow it to start
Install the video card drivers

#15 emt6388

emt6388
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:22 PM

Is this what i need? I am from canada and the big stores only have the PCI-E online.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...8&CatId=319

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users