Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a good voice recorder that will work on my computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 chugg

chugg

• Members
  • 618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:36 PM

With the work I do I record my calls with my associates and they do as well. I did buy a recorder from radio shack but I want one that is on my computer instead so its easier to save certain conversations. I know there are alot of free software out there for this and i downloaded a few of them but i cant get them to work. I have a friend who is an IT guy that was supposed to help me but he is acting like I am being a major pain in the rear end. So I told him to take a hike and I will go to a great forum that I know of to get help. I am not that great with computers however. FYI I use the magicjack. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 618 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:49 PM

I do have Cain and ABle on my computer but cant get it to record. Does anyone know how it works? The help section doesnt work much.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:28 AM

http://www3.broadbandreports.com/forum/r20...magicJack-calls

One person says you need to use the sniffer function w/ Cain & Able
Another suggests
http://stepvoice.com/index.shtml @ $15

Another one uses Audacity

However, you'll have to switch to the headset mode and use a microphone to conduct the conversation.

I've tried many recording applications and none of them worked, including Audacity, if you are using the real phone to make the call instead of doing it via the PC headset/microphone.

Here's a video on how one guy set his up

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 618 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:32 PM

Wow Garmanma thank you so much. I will review this and install tonight. You always seem to come to my rescue when I need something through the years. Thank you for that. Let me give you a tip. Buy silver! If your not in a position to buy just watch it. Its at 13.70 and climbing now. Wait till what you see it ends up at at the end of September. Thanks again! Hope it works.

#5 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 618 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:11 PM

http://www3.broadbandreports.com/forum/r20...magicJack-calls

One person says you need to use the sniffer function w/ Cain & Able
Another suggests
http://stepvoice.com/index.shtml @ $15

Another one uses Audacity

However, you'll have to switch to the headset mode and use a microphone to conduct the conversation.

I've tried many recording applications and none of them worked, including Audacity, if you are using the real phone to make the call instead of doing it via the PC headset/microphone.

Here's a video on how one guy set his up

This guy hooked the same recorder up that I did in the link you gave me. I would like to get Cane and able working so I can do it with my computer. It would be alot easier for me. I do have the setup that guy did in the video but I dont like it.

#6 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 618 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:25 AM

Ok Im thinking that Im not getting replys because I am asking about Cain and Abe and not many may know much about this. I am just looking for any free voice recorder that will run on my CPU and work with my magicjack. Anyone? AM I posting this in the wrong section mods?

EDIT: Let's find out
Moving to All Other Applications

Edited by garmanma, 12 August 2009 - 03:20 PM.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,526 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:34 PM

One additional aspect you may consider, in the limited replies is the culpability in advising you on a potentially illegal act. Not knowing the state or country you reside in. Recording calls may be illegal without notifying one or both parties. The statues vary from state to state and get more complex with multiple jurisdictions.

Some information on the various laws: United States Telephone Recording Laws

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 618 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:23 AM

Thank you animal and I do understand this. I am a commodity broker and I work from home. So in the mornings myself and associates have conference calls about the markets and the economy amongst each other and we all shoot out ideas to use with our clients. We are all aware that it is being recorded and we only use this amongst ourselves. There is just too much info to type and remember so we have to listen to the recording over and over to take everything down.

#9 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 618 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:18 PM

Im thinking that since its been a month with no help that I may be in the wrong forum for such a question. Can anyone point me to a more appropriate forum that could better suit this request? It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for yoru help.

Kind Regards,

Chugg

Edited by chugg, 19 August 2009 - 02:19 PM.

#10 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 618 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:01 PM

Just checking in again hoping someone could help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users