Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rebecca.

Rebecca.

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:23 PM

- I apologize if this is in the wrong section; if so, a moderator can just move it to where it should be.

Recently, I downloaded Mozilla Firefox onto my computer for safer internet browsing on my behalf; I have bad luck like that, with getting redirected to fake malware scanners and such. I'm not having any problem whatsoever with Firefox, but my AVG Anti-Virus Scanner (Version 8.5) seems to be finding a lot of tracking cookies under the file "Mozilla Firefox". Of course, AVG has the tracking cookies easily deleted and gone before I can get the chance to look at them, so it seems as if the cookies aren't severe in any way.

Thinking about it, I figured this could be either of two things; first, I thought about how I get attacked by a lot of tracking cookies all the time, and that it wasn't something with the programs, just my bad luck. The list of tracking cookies that were previously deleted is way over 500, the majority of them aren't from Firefox. And then, I thought it could be something with Firefox - which I doubted; I'd looked over so many reviews and people's opinions on Firefox before I went and downloaded it; it seemed to be pretty well working, worth the download, fast and safe, so my second option seemed like a false idea.

If anyone could give me an answer to why AVG is doing this, or what the deal with Firefox is, I'd be so thankful. Also, thanks for taking the time to read this. It is greatly appreciated. (:
-Rebecca

And so the lion fell in love with the lamb.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mysterysgames

Mysterysgames

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:35 PM

Tracking cookies are per se not harmful. They allow companies/sites to follow your browsing behavior, which might invade your privacy.

I have set Firefox so that on closing, all cookies are deleted.
You can do this by
Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Clear history when Firefox closes
You can then select "Settings" and check the box next to "cookies"

Edited by Mysterysgames, 21 July 2009 - 02:36 PM.

#3 Beenthere

Beenthere

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:39 PM

with this and spybot's search and destroy immunizing function, my scanners never detect tracking cookies anymore :thumbsup:

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:02 PM

Cookies are use to store bits of information on your computer. This can be useful. For example, when you visit bleepingcomputer.com and log in, BC stores a cookie on your computer with information that this person is logged in. Next time you visit BC, you wont have to login. Nice :thumbsup:

Tracking cookies are basically from adversting web sites like doubleclick-dot-com. They are used to track your web surfing behavior and accordingly display ads on websites you visit. For example, if you visit a lingerie web site on which doubleclick-dot-com displays ads, it would store a cookie on your computer. Next, you visit another fashion website where again doubleclick-dot-com displays ads, it would store this information in cookie. So now, they know what types of web sites you visit, and would display you ads of clothings lingeries etc. They track you for months and even years if you dont delete them.

What you can do against tracking cookies?

1. Open Firefox > Tools > Options > Privacy. In the Firefox will combobox, select Use custom settings for history. In the settings displayed, un-check option for Accept third-party cookies. Some web sites may complain about this.

2. You may install firefox addon AdBlock. It would block most of the ad-servers altogether. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

Happy computing :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users