Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop turns off while trying to reinstall windows

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jonny87

jonny87

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:52 AM

Hi,

Im trying to reinstall windows as I have a nasty virus. Iv put in the windows CD tht ame with the laptop and turned it on. he when I get to the blue windows setup screen and start going through the options like formatting etc. the laptop randomly turns off. It doesn't turn off at the same point either but seems to randomly decide to whenever. If I load the laptop normally and get into windows then it doesn't turn off, only when trying to reinstall windows.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Jonny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:15 AM

Laptop manufacturer and model?

What does the writing on this CD...what does it say (exactly)?

Does your owner manual specify your technique...as the method to be used to reinstall XP?

Louis

#3 jonny87

jonny87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:47 PM

Laptop is HP dv5094ea

The cd says:
Operating system CD
Microsoft Winows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
Contains software and drivers already installed, For software reinstallation and repair only

Yes the manual told me to do this.

Thanks
Jonny

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:51 PM

FWIW, see pages 156-157, http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00630975.pdf

Are you trying to delete your current install from within XP? If so, that won't work.

Turn the system off, with the install CD in the optical drive.

Make sure that you have already set the BIOS to boot from the optical drive.

Turn the system on...delete your current partitions on the hard drive...begin the install/new partition.

Louis

#5 dr.wireMORE

dr.wireMORE

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:58 PM

Hoping it is ok to comment, but believe Louis has it right. You will need to boot to your reinstallation CD

1) Go into the system bios and set your boot order to boot first from the CD / optical drive
2) Put your CD into the optical drive, and
3) reboot.
(you need power to open the optical drive.... easiest to do when you are in the bios setup screen, then do your reboot.)

Sounds like you are in good hands with Louis

dw

#6 jonny87

jonny87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately I just tried this but the problem is still there. I am thinking it could be a problem with the RAM?

THanks
Jonny

#7 Shadowdance

Shadowdance

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:47 PM

I had this problem as well with chkdsk and other bios/dos procedures... MY problem was overheating, when I ve put some cooling paste the problem solved.

WIN 7 ULTIMATE EN, AMD Dual-Core A4-6320, 3.8GHz (Turbo 4GHz), MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A55BM-E Rev X.0x, DDR3 SIN 1333 4GB, AMD Radeon HD 8370D, Realtek High Definition Audio,

Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 500GB

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:32 PM

I've not known RAM to turn a system off...but I don't know much about computers and even less about laptops.

If this was a desktop, I would suspect the PSU...but it's a laptop and precise suspects seem harder to come by in such.

But both items you mentioned...have diagnostic tests which can be run...if you truly believe they are problematical.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Icrontic » Diagnose with Memtest86+ - http://icrontic.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86

MemTest Manual - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html Outdated but still useful, IMO.

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Louis

#9 jonny87

jonny87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:22 AM

Unfortunately the computer turn of halfway thru memtest. I tried changing the RAM with one from another computer but it kept turning off so I dont think its the RAM anymore

THanks

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:16 PM

No message of any sort when it turns off?

Have you checked Event Viewer for possible errors noted at times approximating system stoppages?

Since you acknowledge having "a virus", perhaps you need to post in one of the malware forums...although I am curious as to how you can be so positive about something that seemingly may be a hardware issue.

Louis

#11 dr.wireMORE

dr.wireMORE

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:32 PM

Your symptoms could be a heat related issue, had a very similar experience. Caused not a shut-down, just a restart, and it almost appeared random. Wish I could help with something more than a guess. dw

What we found:
Had a system that would turn off, or better yet, just restart (POST.) Thought it was malware, but in the end, a smart person noticed that the capicators on the motherboard had domed. The tops should be flat, and if they are rounded, it might indicate over-heat. We found 10 huge caps, and 5 of them had domed. Easiest was to replace the motherboard, and were good to go. Had expected malware... but in the end, a fan had slowed down to the point of over-heating. Worse, when we checked the bios, there was a high-temperature shutdown feature.... but it had been disabled.

#12 Shadowdance

Shadowdance

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:34 PM

I suspect the same thing as you might figure from my post up there, I believe you are right.

WIN 7 ULTIMATE EN, AMD Dual-Core A4-6320, 3.8GHz (Turbo 4GHz), MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A55BM-E Rev X.0x, DDR3 SIN 1333 4GB, AMD Radeon HD 8370D, Realtek High Definition Audio,

Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 500GB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users