Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

glitches

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 polarpimp

polarpimp

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:31 AM

How do ppl find glitches?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:31 PM

Trial and error. In a first person shooter, you get on a map by yourself and just try to jump on stuff. WHat many folks CALL glitches I think are not. If you can jump up to somewhere, then obviously the developers wanted it to be part of the playing field. Of course things like jumping under the map and so on ARE true programming glitches.

Haven't you been on a map and seen a balcony or a roof with stuff by it and said to yourself, "there has to be a way to get up there?"

The way to find glitches already "discovered" is to google the game and glitches, for example type: COD WAW glitches into your google search and see what turns up.

#3 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:26 PM

WHat many folks CALL glitches I think are not. If you can jump up to somewhere, then obviously the developers wanted it to be part of the playing field. Of course things like jumping under the map and so on ARE true programming glitches.

Not always, actually. There are times where the developers may accidentally overlook something, allowing a player to be able to get to somewhere where they're not supposed to (not necessarily off the map, but in a spot on the map that allows one to be able to take advantage of something for an easy win or something). These are exploits, which may or may not always be glitches. A glitch is more defined with something in the code that causes the game to not function the way it's supposed to, and it doesn't necessarily have to be game breaking, but even something as small as muzzle flash disappearing, or a sound isn't playing when there's supposed to be that specific sound, or etc.

Also, going off the map isn't quite necessarily a programming issue. There are times where it could be a programming issue (not completely sure how many cases are programming issues), but it could also be because there's a spot that allows one to be able to get past the physics volume and go off map (not sure if it's necessarily this volume or whatnot, though. Depends on the engine and such).

Edited by scff249, 21 July 2009 - 05:27 PM.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#4 polarpimp

polarpimp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:09 PM

i think it would be hard to find a mapp in such a big place

#5 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:36 AM

Not always, actually. There are times where the developers may accidentally overlook something, allowing a player to be able to get to somewhere where they're not supposed to (not necessarily off the map, but in a spot on the map that allows one to be able to take advantage of something for an easy win or something). These are exploits, which may or may not always be glitches. A glitch is more defined with something in the code that causes the game to not function the way it's supposed to, and it doesn't necessarily have to be game breaking, but even something as small as muzzle flash disappearing, or a sound isn't playing when there's supposed to be that specific sound, or etc.

Also, going off the map isn't quite necessarily a programming issue. There are times where it could be a programming issue (not completely sure how many cases are programming issues), but it could also be because there's a spot that allows one to be able to get past the physics volume and go off map (not sure if it's necessarily this volume or whatnot, though. Depends on the engine and such).

See, I disagree lol. I'm an old man. I remember when programmers used to put all kinds of crazy stuff in games just to see if someone could find them. They didn't release the "cheats" before they released the games either lol. I can't count the number of hours I spent in Doom pushing walls, trying to jump on stuff and diving in water trying to find hidden levels and neat little goodies. As such, I think they still DELIBERATELY put stuff out there for folks clever enough to find. Take COD4 for instance. In Backlot (I think thta's the map name) you can get on the top of a building by jumping from a building to a light post, the light post to an AC duct, and then climb up the AC duct to the roof. That has been "officially" declared a "glitch." Why? In real life you COULD jump to a light pole and from the light pole to the AC duct, (and the AC duct WOULD support your weight) and then climb to the roof. How is that a "glitch?" Because some rockhead wasn't imaginative to think of trying it himself (or herself).

Let's take the "tactical warfare" definition for a glitch, in part: "where you appear to be floating." That's just BS. In COD WAW there are SEVERAL ledges and walls that when put into perspective are 8 inches to 2 feet wide. Yet if you jump on them you "appear to be floating" when looked at by someone else. THAT is a physics problem, not a glitch, that wall or ledge is plenty big enough to stand or walk on. Hell, i hung steel when I was much younger, I felt comfortable enough on a 1 1/2 inch bar joist 100 feet above the ground to hop on one foot on it. Wen used to do the curly shuffle on them lol, so don't tell me someone can't stand on a 6 inch wide wall top 5 feet off the ground. They design those things for people to find.As for them being an advantage? Of COURSE they are an advantage. It rewards the clever people over the dummies by allowing them to get to places the dummies never think to look in. Funny, real war does that too...........

Heck they invented killcam for unimaginative dummies.

#6 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:34 PM

You seem to have a bit of a misunderstanding of what a glitch really is in a video game. By your definition, virtually everything should be classified as a glitch since there are several things in several games that aren't possible to do.

Here's the definition of what a video game glitch is.

For stuff that's deliberately put in for people to find, that generally depends on what it is.

If it's some little thing that someone can find (the first half of what you were saying) that is more of an inside joke, hidden message, or some hidden content (among various other things) is called an Easter Egg. Of course, not all Easter Eggs are hidden; some are a bit more out front and easy to find such as Zoey of Left 4 Dead phrasing lines from movies or making mention of them in some way.

What you're describing (for the CoD4 part) are vantage points, which the level designers deliberately put in to give a player an advantage over others while making sure it's not game breaking. What I was mentioning in my last post (which I forgot to clarify) was the kind of vantage point that allows a player to have such an unfair advantage that it's nearly game breaking to the point where no one else can win. An example I can remember is in Left 4 Dead during the finale on No Mercy. There was a chokepoint that players can go to that allowed them to be able to fight off the oncoming hoard of zombies with little effort while being relatively safe from the zombies until the rescue chopper arrives (to the point where they take either very little or no damage). During Versus mode, the Infected team couldn't get to the Survivors because of this issue, which Valve released a patch that blocked that area off.

I'm not quite sure of what you mean by floating. Do you mean that they're floating above the wall or do you mean that their feet are hanging off the sides of the wall?

If the former, then that's because the wall's collision box is taller than what the mesh is, so it'll appear as if the character that you're looking at is floating.

If it's the latter, then that's a different story. With this one, it's because it's pointless to put in data for such a thing when it's deemed unnecessary by the producers. Sure, they could put it in (as some games do have such movement across ledges and such), but an FPS doesn't necessarily need it since you won't be looking at your character, let alone that a player cares more about killing their opponent over having every little detail in a game be realistically simulated.

Edited by scff249, 23 July 2009 - 04:37 PM.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users