Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Manager has been disabled !!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 chins.coolstuff

chins.coolstuff

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:15 AM

Hi guys,

This one is very common and I have tried everything in the world but unable to succeed. Task Manager in my Win XP PRO SP2 has been grayed out for sometime and I have tried scanning the PC but no use. I have also tried going to the registry and editing the following entry but it does not allow it:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System->DisableTaskMgr

This is currently set to 1 and hence the problem but I am unable to delete the entry to change it. The error I get while doing it is: 'cannot edit disabletaskmgr: error writing the value's new contents'

Also tried going GPEDIT and tried setting the Remove Task Manager option to Not Configured as well as Disabled under User Configuration->Administrative Templates->System->Ctrl+Alt+Del options but no use.

Used McAfee, Spybot, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware but no use.

I want to boot into safe mode and scan the PC but am unable to do so as everytime I try to boot in safe mode by choosing Safe Mode it reboots again and shows me the same Safe Mode options again.

Any tips would help.

Regards,

Chins.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:24 PM

Temporarily closed awaiting response from member concerning computer identity.

Orange Blossom :thumbup2:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users