Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The misterious folders inside recycler

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JorgeO.555

JorgeO.555

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:41 PM

Hello,

My HD is partitioned in C: (Windows, apps) and D: (My documents, data, etc, but no apps).
Some time ago, I've noticed a folder in D: with a long alphanumeric name (such as A3CR5GNL9 or alike). Inside this folder there were 2 subfolders - AMD64 and i386 (there could be some other one). To me, it looked like some Windows update folder, but why on D: ?

AVG Internet Security, Malwarebytes, Super Anti Spyware didn't find any malware in it.
So, I've simply renamed it by placing an underline as the first character in it, and left it for many days.

Then, as everithing looked fine, I considered it as kind of a temp left over, and decided to erase it.
At this moment, I got a message some folder inside of it couldn't be erased - was in use or alike.

I used Malwarebytes FileASSASYN and it seemed to be gone.

But, every time I empty the recycle bin, there's a message folder Dd1 (or Dd2) couldn't be deleted, but these folders are not visible (I've set Explorer to show hidden and system files).
Looking at D:'s recycler, there's this folder - D:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-1409082233-1390067357-839522115-1003 containing subfolders Dd1, Dd2 (both access denied but seem to be empty) and created/modified in June, files desktop.ini and INFO2 (that can be deleted but seem to be recreated later on). FileASSASYN won't delete the folders.
In Safe Mode I cannot delete them also (shift+del).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by JorgeO.555, 20 July 2009 - 09:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pivotraze

pivotraze

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:46 PM

Try remove on reboot located here and if that does not work, download and install unlocker

Both are right-click extensions, so right click the file and run them.
Proud user of Windows 7 Ultimate

Developer of: Seafire Suite
Developer of: Pivot: Revolution

System Specs: 4GB Ram, Intel i3-2350M,

MaxxAudio® LE

, 1600x900 17.3" HD+ TruBrite LED Screen , and Intel HD 3000 Graphics.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:18 AM

Any folder that has "recyclers" in the name...probably is the type described at http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_C:Re...contained_in_it

Louis

#4 JorgeO.555

JorgeO.555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:58 AM

Try remove on reboot located here and if that does not work, download and install unlocker

Thanks, pivotraze. Unlocker did it. For some reason, remove on reboot didn't work at all (it doesn't shows on right click menu).

#5 pivotraze

pivotraze

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:03 PM

Your welcome Jorge, glad to help.

I am not sure why it did not work, but im glad unlocker worked, i use unlocker myself alot haha :D
Proud user of Windows 7 Ultimate

Developer of: Seafire Suite
Developer of: Pivot: Revolution

System Specs: 4GB Ram, Intel i3-2350M,

MaxxAudio® LE

, 1600x900 17.3" HD+ TruBrite LED Screen , and Intel HD 3000 Graphics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users