Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

monitor stuck in power save mode

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gsumax

gsumax

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:48 PM

Hi there, my monitor is stuck in power save mode all of a sudden and my mouse and keyboard cant activate it. I know the monitor is good because I just tried it with another computer no problems. I have an old Dell Dimension 3000. Im thinking the RAM is bad on my computer because that is the only thing that i have changed in my computer lately and with my ignorance I bought some of the cheap no-name ebay ram.
Is there any signs to know it is the ram causing the video not to power up? The computer boots up as if things are perfectly fine, lights are on, fans come on, disk trays can open and close.....with my experience with bad RAM the computer makes some beeping noises and fails to boot up anything.

I would try my old OEM ram, but i dont have it available anymore. I plan to just try some new RAM but before I drop the money for it, are there any other possibilities of other things going bad? i dont have a video card, just on board.

I have also tried resetting the MOBO battery as well with no luck.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:24 PM

Uplug it & try reseating the memory.

It's hard to say exactly what is wrong without being able to try the old memory.

Did the computer beep when it started before ?

Unplug it & totally remove all of the memory
Plug it back in & see if it beeps or makes a noise .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 gsumax

gsumax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:58 AM

Uplug it & try reseating the memory.

It's hard to say exactly what is wrong without being able to try the old memory.

Did the computer beep when it started before ?

Unplug it & totally remove all of the memory
Plug it back in & see if it beeps or makes a noise .

Thanks for the reply.

I did try to reseat the memory, even changed the slots, and then I tried each stick by itself. No luck.

Now that i think about it, the computer used to beep once when i turned it on, and now it doesnt beep i dont think.

I may just buy some cheap 256k ram from ebay to see if i can boot the computer with it before i spend the $$ for 2 new GB.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:26 AM

I have worked on many Dells .
I have one on the bench now.

With no memory installed when the power button is pushed & it tries to start the lack of memory should cause a beep warning [code=auto:0] .

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it sounds like your motherboard has failed.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 dr.wireMORE

dr.wireMORE

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:36 AM

Safe to say that the "monitor" isn't stuck in power save mode... but the system is stuck.

While the mother board could be the symptom; have you tried safe mode?

Shut off the system; press F8 (f8, f8, f8 every second or two... it is kind of magic) while it is booting to get to safe mode. You should be prompted for boot options, one of which is safe mode. Click on safe mode, and see if your problem remains.

If you can boot into safe mode, thinking it isn't the motherboard, but perhaps a driver or other interaction.
If you can not boot into safe mode, I would lean toward the mother board or memory.

Depending on your configuration, a new motherboard can be $50, dual/quad CPU another $50, and 2gb of memory another $50. (not the high end stuff, but safe to say for under $200) at your local computer store. (the local guy who helps folks build em from scratch.)

Please share your results, as we will all learn by your trial and solution. dw

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:52 AM

"While the mother board could be the symptom; have you tried safe mode?"

If there is NO DISPLAY, NOTHING, NADA, it's going to be pretty hard to try safe, or any other mode.

The OP could try clearing the CMOS but if the motherboard dorsn't beep [sound an alarm] with no memory either the power supply or motherboard is bad .

#7 gsumax

gsumax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 12:30 PM

Sorry about the delay in responding guys, i have been out of town for a couple of weeks and hadnt been home.

Anyways, while I was out of town I was able to obtain an extra stick of working ram to see if it would work, and sure enough, it did.
I knew it had to be the RAM as it was the only thing i had altered in the past year on my computer.

So, the apparent "new" RAM i bought, alreayd went bad less than a month later, i am getting 2 new sticks from the guy I bought it from. Last time i stray from anything not made by Kingston or Crucial.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:13 PM

The new RAM is not necessarily bad...it could just be not what your motherboard wants/prefers...it could be the wrong type.

Bottom line, it doesn't work...it's good to stick with RAM modules which are known to work with a given system/motherboard. One size does not make all systems happy.

Louis

#9 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:32 PM

This could also be a PSU issue. If possible, try plugging a new power supply into your motherboard, unplugging all drives, add-ons, RAM, and video. You should then receive error beeps for lack of memory.

Just a month or so ago mine had identical symptoms, I was able to test with a new PSU to get the BIOS beep codes, then bought a new one and everything's fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users