Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vertical Line on Monitor - Bad LCD Panel?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jimzhr

Jimzhr

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:32 PM

I have a Toshiba satellite P105-6114 laptop with 17" monitor. Recently the monitor displays a very thin vertical line running from top to bottom of the screen. The line is light purple and is about 1/32" wide. I have been told that "a vertical line usually means that the LCD panel is defective and usually more expensive to replace than to buy a new laptop". I understand the concept of "usuall cheaper to replace than to repair". What I am really wanting to know is: Is my screen just going to go out SUDDENLY and with no further warning than this "line"? Or will the line just get larger? In other words, do I need to buy something now so I don't get caught flatfooted when the monitor quits, Any ideas here greatly appreciated.

Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:04 PM

I don't know how much of an early warning system this is.. But try connecting an external monitor to you parallel display port at the back of laptop. If you still see the line it may be your video card or motherboard and not the display. obviously if you do not see the line then it's your LCD display.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Jimzhr

Jimzhr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 05:54 PM

I have a Dell desktop computer and monitor alongside the laptop. There is a 2nd monitor cable on the Dell monitor which has never been in use. The plug on this cable fits into the back of the laptop so I just plugged it in. This causes the Dell monitor to go into "sleep mode". When I unplug from the laptop the monitor then works fine on the desktop machine. So, my question is......how do I get this remote monitor to work with the laptop and override the laptop monitor?

Edited by Jimzhr, 25 July 2009 - 05:56 PM.

#4 Jimzhr

Jimzhr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:28 PM

Well I got the remote monitor to display the laptop wallpaper.....very poorly though. I cannot seem to make the monitor display anything from the laptop except the wallpaper and I can't improve that image using display settings. Any ideas? Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users