Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The page cannot be displayed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sprinks

Sprinks

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:25 PM

After updating my laptop computer last Saturday, 7/18/09, I cannot view my personal bank web site. My operating system is Windows 2000 Professional. I use Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6.0.2800.1106. I access the internet through a Linksys RangePlus wireless router.
The updates that were installed last Saturday were;
-Security Update for DirectX 9 for Windows 2000
-Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows 2000
-Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool
-Security Update for Windows 2000
All my other web sites load properly (including other banking sites). I've contacted the bank and my ISP with no success. I've deleted all my cookies and temporary internet files.
Can you help me?
I will be out of town till Friday, so forgive me for not answering any questions right away, but I'll do so as soon as I return.

Thank you in advance for your continued help.

Sprinks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nospam

nospam

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:07 PM

1. Your operating system is out of date, but Microsoft is providing updates until July 2010 according to the Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows

I would think about upgrading your operating system within the year as it is not a good idea to have an unsupported operating system online for any length of time. Or if your computer is old, just get a newer one that will have a newer version of Windows on it.

2. Your browser is out of date (2 versions old); you really should update it due to security issues. The most current version of Internet Explorer is 8. http://update.microsoft.com/

3. Does your bank's website support another browser such as FireFox? I would try another browser just to see. http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/upgrade.html

Good luck, hope this advice helps.

#3 Sprinks

Sprinks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:17 PM

I talked with a computer tech at the bank, there is nothing I've described above that should keep me from accessing their web site. I know there is a way to go back to a previous install, (prior to the last update) but can't recall how. Any help?
I installed Firefox and tried accessing the web site through it, still no success. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Sprinks

Edited by Sprinks, 24 July 2009 - 08:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users