Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Backup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:36 PM

When i use Windows backup, does it make a backup of the Entire system, or just my files that i create?

Example, if i use Microsoft Word, do i need to re-intall MS Office to be able to use Word Files? Or is Word included in the backup? I am of couse refering to after doing a re-install of the OS

I also make a copy of Documents, Music, Picutres, Vidoes and Favorties. Is this nessisary? I know that when doing a backup its best to have more than one copy, but is this overkill, or even needed? Does anyone else do this?

I am also noticing that the backup files are much larger than the folders i have listed above. The combined total of those 5 folders is only 5GB, while the backup file is 34GB, which is about the size of my Hdd space.

Edited by Derek Ellis, 20 July 2009 - 04:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:35 PM

With the "Windows Complete PC Backup" feature, supposedly it is supposed to create an image of your hard drive, and all the data on it, pictures, music, programs, registry, and malware included. I don't have much experience with it (I prefer the old "ctrl-c and ctrl-v your files every weekend method, since you can actually make sure your stuff actually got backed up, but that's just me), but that's what I could find from Microsoft's article. As with the rest of Windows' backup feature, it just takes the files you specify, puts them in a compressed file in a location of your choice, and adds new files and updates changed files on a schedule.

As for number of backups, the best system to use is to get an external hard drive that you can back up every weekend and put on a shelf or in a safe, and to have another offsite or online backup, which you can get by either getting another external drive and dropping off at work, swapping with the one you keep at home every week. You can also take the online option with a service like Carbonite or Mozy, which is kept on multiple servers around the world (or so they say), which would provide redundancy if flood/tornado/earthquake/nuclear armageddon/zombies happen to take out both your at home backup and the backup at your work (or friends place/mom's house/favorite tree, etc etc etc...), however unless you have an incredibly fast upload speed, it wouldn't be the best option for backing up your giant 2TB drive, but rather for important documents, pictures, stuff you really don't want to lose. You can even do both the offsite and online backups if you please.

As for the backup files being significantly larger than your actual files, it can be summed up by the phrase "WTFIDK?". It could possibly be shadow copies of your files, or maybe you're also backing up a complete PC backup image, and don't know it.

#3 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:52 PM

Im most worried about Zombies invading!

I do use a USB Hdd. i have a Western Digtal 500 GB Notebook hdd. I use it because its small, and i keep it in my Fireproof safe (had a house fire in April 2008).

So, would the best way to find out is to do a re-intall of the OS, and then run the Windows Backup/restore, and see what i get? And if there are missing files still have a copy of them on my Hdd (Documents, Music, Picutres, etc)

#4 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:37 PM

So, would the best way to find out is to do a re-intall of the OS, and then run the Windows Backup/restore, and see what i get? And if there are missing files still have a copy of them on my Hdd (Documents, Music, Picutres, etc)

I wouldn't recommend doing that, just to see if it works. I've just personally had a bad experience with Windows' backup program corrupting the backup file or not backing up what I told it to back up. You'd be safest to just pull out the external hard drive, make a new folder on it, and copy everything in your user folder over to the drive by just letting the copy run until it's finished, then put it back in the safe until next weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users