Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Get Rid Of A Annoying Tool Bar

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:03 PM

Howdy,

I have been reading a book online for the last few days. Today when I went to the site a tool bar appears that I can't get rid of. As I scroll down to read the bar floats down. There is no "close" button to click on. I right clicked on it hoping that there would be some choice like "exit" to click on to make it disappear but there isn't.

Maybe the site owner is using it for advertising purposes ??? :thumbsup: :flowers:

This is a free site that has thousands of books online that you can read. I have read at least a hundred of them and never have seen this tool bar before. I E mailed the site asking for help but I have not received a response yet. I was hoping that someone here would have an idea on how to make it go away.

Here is a screen shot:
Posted Image

Thanks for your time !

Dennis :trumpet:

Edited by Dennis H, 20 July 2009 - 02:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:34 PM

Maybe try changing the font size to a smaller font and the page might appear more useful (the toolbar might go all of the way to the right)
Computer Pro

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:37 PM

Hi, Looks like XP here.
Try from the Control Panel

Start >> Control Panel >> Add/Remove Programs
Find that Item in the list, highlight it ( Click it) select remove.

I would reboot now then run a spyware scanner like MalwareBytes.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:53 PM

Thanks for the replies. I just tried changing the font to a smaller size but it did not help.

boopme,

What item would I be looking for in the add/remove ?

I ran a Malware Bytes scan and a SAS scan this morning as I do everyday and my computer is clean.

As I said this is something new on their site. I have no problem with any other site I go to. I have a feeling that the site itself is messed up. The reason I say that is the whole purpose of their site is to allow people to read their collection of books online. To have something obstruct you would be defeating their purpose. Maybe they accidentally left off the close button ?? It is very odd.

Again, thank you folks for your help.

Here is the link to the book I am trying to read in case you would like to see what is happening first hand. I have been going to this site for a long time and have NEVER encountered any problems like malware, ETC;

http://infomotions.com/etexts/gutenberg/di...t04/vrjns10.htm

Dennis :thumbsup:

EDIT: XP Home, IE-8, SP-3

Edited by Dennis H, 20 July 2009 - 04:30 PM.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:06 PM

I would look for the name of the service..

EDIT.. Isee what you have.. see if this can go..Alex Catalogue

Perhaps this will be better...
Go to control panel and uninstall the Book reading application.. reboot..
Reinstall the application,but look for ( in the beginning ) something like a box that says "Willl also install XXXXX Toolbar" and UN check that box or say no..

Edited by boopme, 20 July 2009 - 03:09 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:20 PM

I never did have to downlaod a book reading application. I have always have just gone to the site clicked on the title of the book I wanted to read and that was it. I am in the process of taking some screen shots of all my add/remove programs so that you can take a look at what I have.

I should have it in just a few minutes.

#7 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:52 PM

Here is everything that is in add/remove.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

boobme, do you get the same tool bar when you click on the link ?

This is the main page for their site, as you can see there is no special download needed in order to read their book collection.
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

Edited by Dennis H, 20 July 2009 - 04:44 PM.

#8 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:55 PM

Well I got it figured out despite myself. :thumbsup:

I deleted the book out of my favorites and then went to the site and downloaded it again. The tool bar is gone.

I have no idea why it appeared in the first place. I have had the book in my favorites for a week or more and gone back to read it several times this week with no trouble until today.

Anyway all is well. Thanks again for your help folks.

boopme, if you happen to see anything in my add/remove programs that I probably don't need please let me know and I will get rid of it. I never use Safari but I think I have to have it in order to use QuickTime. ???

Dennis :flowers:

Edited by Dennis H, 20 July 2009 - 04:56 PM.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:35 PM

Well i 'm glad it's gone.. to answer your question tho' i did see it from the first link and not the second.
If you don't use the other toolbar(s) I would remove them any way. They just use resources and Google I know spies on you.

#10 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:39 PM

You can also remove Acrobat.com

And no Safari is not needed to be able to run Quicktime, so remove it if you dont need it :thumbsup:
Computer Pro

#11 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:43 PM

Ok I will zap them. What about Adobe Air and Adobe Flash ?

Edited by Dennis H, 20 July 2009 - 06:51 PM.

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:40 PM

I see no issue with Adobe myself. I have both on my PC for 10 years. Keeping them updated is important though.

#13 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:47 PM

Ok thanks !

I am going to zap the tool bars.

#14 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:38 AM

I see you use Open Office as I do but that is a very old version you have. The latest one v3.1 has just been released about two weeks ago.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#15 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:56 AM

I think you could also zap the two earlier versions of Microsoft.Net Framework

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users