Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The economy- boom or bust for you?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MishY

MishY

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:32 PM

I recently became a licensed firearms dealer after a friend told me alot of money can be made at selling guns at gun shows.
Got back from another show this weekend and did very well. Seems many people, from talking to them, say they believe they should now own a gun to protect themselves from whatever may come there way cause of the economy.
I lost about a third of my retirement portfolio in this recession but with this extra income should make it back and then some in a couple of years.
Was wondering if anyone else found something profitable to do as a side job in this economy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:15 PM

Yeah it seems guns are highly profitable right now. As long as Democrats are in power prices will stay up, stock will go down, and money will roll in. Another thing that helps the wallet are "antique" and "classic" cars and trucks. With new EPA restrictions on cars and new car prices staying high buying a $200 junker and then flipping it for a fast $400 is an easy way to make money (especially when you've got the parts and know how to make it run).

Note: I'm not saying anything is wrong with Dems just stating that as long as certain things are possible to occur there will be an increase in demand for the objects that could be affected by it.

BTW: I buy/sell/trade cars, truck, guns, etc. and do side work as a mechanic. keeps me from needed my 9-5 paycheck.

Posted Image

#3 Derethman

Derethman

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:09 PM

I'm retired and this economy seems great to me, mostly because everyone is hot to make a deal, even retailers like Lows are giving out cash register discounts like candy. You can buy almost anything with deep discounts. I bought a Dewalt 788 scrollsaw with extras and shipping for under $400. Quite a savings.
Copyright Derethman 2009 - All Rights reserved

#4 KonamiYoto

KonamiYoto

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:02 PM

Not much of a boom or a bust for my family. Kinda like... In the middle, I suppose.

Edited by KonamiYoto, 30 July 2009 - 08:02 PM.

#5 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:59 AM

I love what Socrates once said. "I like going through the marketplace and seeing all the things that I don't need. It makes me feel much richer.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:41 PM

I've had a few remodeling projects this year and I have saved a lot of money
Plus jobs are not as plentiful so contractors show up when they say they're going to
We'll see what happens this week when I shop for a new yard tractor
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:18 PM

The year started with the economy making me its bleep, but now we've come to an amicable arrangement where we stay off each other's lawns.

#8 Iodine

Iodine

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:33 PM

With my other half being retired now the ecomomy has really put it to us. Needless to say that what we thought we'd be able to do (which really wasn't anything extravagant) just isn't going to happen. He did,however, find a way to bring in a few extra bucks helping a self employed small contractor in our neighborhood painting,doing siding and just about anything else that needs doing. It's not much but it helps a bit. I've a feeling this economic "slump", which is putting it mildly, is going to be long lived.
Tell me and I forget ;Show me and I may remember;involve me and I"ll understand.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:02 PM

(He) did find a way to bring in a few extra bucks helping a self employed small contractor in our neighborhood painting,doing siding and just about anything else that needs doing

Send him my way. I still need my garage resided

Edited by garmanma, 02 August 2009 - 06:03 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users