Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need info on reinstalling WIn XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bintyre

bintyre

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 11 July 2005 - 08:20 AM

While trying for days to remove several trojans, I apparently deleted something I shouldn't have... not the Systray no longer works! Nothin happens when I click on Start or any of the other icons.

Would like to know if I can reinstall Win XP over itself instead of formating the HD? Used to do that with Win 98 when I had problems. Thinking that will fix corrupted files or replace missing ones.

Or is there a File Checker program in XP that will tell me which files are missing so I can extract them off the CD?

Comments please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 11 July 2005 - 10:08 AM

How to perform a WinXP repair Install.

MS on how to perform a repair install.

#3 bintyre

bintyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 11 July 2005 - 04:48 PM

stidyup - Thanks for responding. Unfortunately the instructions you sent are way over my head! Maybe I don't need to reinstall/repair Win XP.

Here's the problem:
When I click on Start and go to Search, the Search window does not open and after that I cannot get a response when I click on anything in the Systray including the Start button. To shut down or reboot I have to hit Ctrl/Alt/Del and go to Shut Down. A window pops up saying "Explorer.exe is not responding. " After rebooting I can use the Start button again and all other buttons unless I try to do a Search. Is is possible to fix this problem without reinstalling all of Win XP ??

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Barb

#4 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 11 July 2005 - 07:08 PM

Unless you have critical unreplaceable information on your pc. Id say your best bet is to reinstall xp, heres a user freindly guide I wrote.

http://www.techsomething.net/SupportMiscel...ourComputer.htm

It will lead you through step by step.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users