Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer would start then randomly shut down by itself

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Raith

Raith

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:49 PM

So, weeks ago I had added some machine oil into my power supply fan, I had to open it up, etc. But the past 3 or so days, randomly, the computer would start up, then shut down and I would have to unplug the power cord and plug the cord back in. I do this constantly, especially when I first start the computer. It is not overheating though, so would there be something loose in the PSU or what? Can someone diagnose from just my information alone?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:35 PM

It sounds like your power supply is simply failing.
There is no fixing a power supply.
Just replace it,
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Raith

Raith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:10 PM

Really? You don't think I had loosened something in it? For example, right now I am online for 6hours straight without an issue, usually when I first start the computer it does this. I'm thinking something is loose.

Edited by Raith, 20 July 2009 - 02:11 PM.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:54 PM

If you did knock something loose in the power supply there is no tightening it up.

The average home user can fix many things .
A power supply ISN'T one of them.
Due to capacitors & the amount of current they store it is recommended people don't even open a power supply.

If the power supply is bad or damaged , replace it .

Everything in a computer attaches to , & depends on, the power supply.
If the PSU isn't right it can kill expensive parts real fast.
Don't cheap out on a power supply & kill the computer !

Edited by fairjoeblue, 20 July 2009 - 02:57 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 Raith

Raith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:43 PM

What I mean is, when I assembled back the PSU, I think I did not tighten the screws hard enough. I mean, I am running fine now, that was what I think is my suspicion.

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:48 PM

It's your computer.
You oiled the fan vecause it was obviously making noise, which it will be doing again in 3 days.
If you want to trust you entire computer to a questionable power unit that's OK with me !

#7 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:52 PM

I think that's what he's getting at. Since the problem occurred right after playing inside the PSU. If you did knock something loose, chances are that it's one of the soldered parts that you can't fix yourself. It's also possible some oil got on another part of your PSU to damage it, or at least wear it down so it fails much quicker than normal.

Though I'm curious, why did you decide to oil your PSU fan?

Edit: Ninja'd. Still curious though.

Edited by Ingle, 20 July 2009 - 03:53 PM.

#8 Raith

Raith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:00 PM

I've oiled it like a month or so ago, it just happened now (few days ago). I oiled it because of the fan noise, why else would one person oil their fans in the first place? I'm not saying the loosened part is something that was soldered on, it could be, but my suspicion would be the cord plug part.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users