Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB issues, Failure to recognise any USB devices.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Smiling Hobo

Smiling Hobo

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:51 AM

Well this is the exact same problem i came to post about. only difference is the one i have is Windows XP so i dont think its a vista issue. good thing i searched through the forums first i guess. My dads computer started doing this for seemingly no reason. He was doing his work on it and had to go somewhere and he left it on. when he got back his USB network card and his USB external harddrive and flash drives no longer worked. his USB keyboard/mouse still work perfectly though. I tried uninstalling the USB root hub drivers. I used that COMPAQ recovery on his computer (restores the origional XP install and all drivers / default software). But that did not fix a thing. He cant do any work untill this is fixed since he has no internet.

Almost forgot to say.... when i connect his network card and external hard drive they get that unrecognised device message and show up as unknown device in the device manager.

So with this does anyone know what could be the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:01 PM

<<I used that COMPAQ recovery on his computer (restores the origional XP install and all drivers / default software).>>

Have you looked at the owner's manual for the Compaq system?

What model Compaq is this?

Unknown devices reflected in Device Manager...are devices which require drivers to be installed.

By any chance...does this system use the XP System Restore function?

Louis

#3 Smiling Hobo

Smiling Hobo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:33 PM

I looked at the PC Troubleshooting and system recovery guide and followed the "Running system recovery from the hard disk drive" instructions.

It is a Presario SR1563CL

The network card does require drivers which i have tried to reinstall multiple times. The external harddrive is plug and play but still shows up as unknown.

System restore was one of the first things i tried which didn't help at all.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:44 PM

Well...all I can do that makes sense..is to steer you to http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/solveCa...;product=501666

Louis

#5 Smiling Hobo

Smiling Hobo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:21 PM

Dont really see anything helpful there, only thing that seemed like it might do something was the motherboard BIOS which i have already downloaded and installed onto it. No change. We got a long ethernet cable and connected him straight to the router so he can get some work done but he still can not access his external hard drive like this so i still need to get it fixed somehow. Im sure a reformat would fix it but he isn't ready to try that just yet...

#6 gocards22

gocards22

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:06 PM

What happens when you boot the computer into safe mode?

Restart your computer and hit F8 after POST but before Windows loads. You will get a menu with some options. Choose "Safe Mode With Networking".

Do you have access to the USB devices in safe mode?

You can also try following the instructions and fix in this thread, for a possible fix.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/242869/usb-and-other-drives-not-working/

let us know what happens.

Edited by gocards22, 20 July 2009 - 07:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users