Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Administrative Controls,Task Manager + Regedit = no access, Folder options changed = revers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jrgolfer21

jrgolfer21

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:32 AM

When I try to access task manager I recieve an error message:

Task manager has been disabled by the administrator

When I try to access the registry edit I recieve an error message:

Registry Editing has been disabled by the administrator

When I edit folder options (such as making hidden folders viewable) the options are reset when I refresh the window.

I've gone through the usual solutions... I went into the user config through gpedit.msc and everything is set to not configured

When I type in the correcting keys... the problem is resolved for about 3 seconds and then I lose access again

REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableRegistryTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableRegistryTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

I checked for viruses using SDFix and no problems were found. Here's the log...

{MOD EDIT: Removed SDFix log,clean,forease of reading ~~bopme}
Any suggestions. Thanks

Edited by boopme, 20 July 2009 - 03:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:58 PM

Hello and welcome ...
TASK MGR DISABLED

This step involves making changes in the registry. Always back up your registry before making any changes.

Go to Start Run and type: regedit
Click OK.
On the left side, click to highlight My Computer at the top.
Go up to File Export
Make sure in that window there is a tick next to "All" under Export Branch.
Leave the "Save As Type" as "Registration Files".
Under "Filename" put RegBackup.
Choose to save it to C:\
Click save and then go to File Exit.
Or you can download and use ERUNTwhich is an excellent free tool that allows you to to take a snapshot (backup) of your registry before making changes and restore it when needed.

Click on the link below:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
Scroll down to #275 and click "Lift Restrictions - TM, Regedit and CMD" in the left column. Go to File, choose "Save page as" All Files and save regtmcmdrestore.vbs to your desktop. Double-click on that file to allow the script to run and reboot when done. Since the script modifies certain registry settings your anti-virus package may warn you about it. Ignore the warning and allow it to run.

Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

{REMOVED ~~boopme}

Edited by boopme, 20 July 2009 - 03:18 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jrgolfer21

jrgolfer21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:35 PM

There's something causing the errors to return. I don't think its a virus though. I recently sent my computer in for hardware related service and they returned it to me reformatted. It must be some setting they made or some program that comes with the computer that's causing the changes. I tried your malware program and it found problematic registry keys, including the one for task manager, but the problems arose again after getting fixed. Just after it said the keys were fixed I attempted to access task manager with no success. It didn't work after reboot either. I had already tried the fixes that it found. Anyone got more ideas? Thanks for the help.

#4 jrgolfer21

jrgolfer21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:09 PM

I re-posted but not the entire message, that'd be great if you could move it back to the other board, thanks.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:20 PM

I've edited and removed the uneeded Malware posts and moved it to XP.. I Will delete the other dupe post there.. good luck.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users