Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

STOP: C0000102 blue screen - can't start computer

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 s4thomas

s4thomas

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:00 AM

Hello

I was opening a file that I had downloaded off of the internet (.rar file - was supposed to include a video of a TV show), and before I had even seen the contents of the .rar file (i.e. I dind't extract anything to any other folders), AVG popped up saying that it has found many threats. I was able to put most of them into the virus vault, but then a bunch of windows messages started to pop up stating that various processes had failed and had to close. After that, the computer just shut itself down. I'm very sorry that I can't give more detail about those files/processes, but I can't even start my computer up anymore... I'm using my boyfriend's laptop to post this message!

When I try to reboot my comp, I see the windows loading bar, then the screen reverts to black, then I am presented with the wonderful blue screen of death with the following message;
STOP: c0000102 {Corrupt File}
The file or directory C:\Windows\winsxs\Manifests is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.

I tried hitting f8 during startup and chose the "last known good configuration" option... It was going through chkdsk, then attempted to restart itself, but all I wound up with was the blue screen again.

Thank you so much for any help that you can offer!

Windows Version: Vista, I think it's SP1, but I don't know how to check for sure without turning the computer on

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:28 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Are you able to boot into safe mode by tapping F8 during startup and then selecting safe mode?
Computer Pro

#3 s4thomas

s4thomas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:54 PM

Hello!

Well, I tried tapping F8 during start up, and my computer didn't take me to that black and white screen where you have the option of starting in safe mode. Instead, it started up with a black screen and the following Microsoft Windows pop-ups:

#1 = Microsoft Software Licensing Service stopped working and was closed - A problem caused the application to stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is available.

#2 = Windows SQM Consolidator has stopped working - A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

#3 = Do you wan tto send more information about the problem? I can hit "Send information" or "Cancel", and when I press 'show details', it says the following;
Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Users\Sam\AppData\Local\Temp\WERCCB0.tmp.version.txt
C:\Users\Sam\AppData\Local\Temp\WER.... And now it just keeps going to the "Windows Vista Home Premium" start up screen, then to a black screen, then to a start up screen again.... I didn't even touch anything, it just started doing it as I was typing out the error messages to you.

I'm going to try re-starting again now and will tap f8 again, and will write back.

#4 s4thomas

s4thomas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:57 PM

Okay.. I got in with f8 this time and am running in safe mode.

I'll just wait here for a reply, and will do whatever you want me to do from there. Thanks!

#5 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

Lets take a look with Malwarebytes

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here:
Malwarebytes
Please rename the file BEFORE downloading to zztoy.exe instead of mbam-setup.exe

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

Double Click zztoy.exe to install the application.
* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Full Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
* Copy&Paste the entire MBAM report (even if it does not find anything) in your next reply

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

If Malwarebytes won't install or run

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.
Computer Pro

#6 s4thomas

s4thomas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:58 PM

Hi again - thanks for your help so far!

So I did the scan, and will post the results below. I'm no longer getting the blue screen on start up, but instead get a bunch of popups saying that some font files are corrupt and that a .dll file is corrupt as well... So I have started back up in safe mode instead. Here are the results from the Malwarebytes scan:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.39
Database version: 2421
Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1

20/07/09 04:49:34 PM
mbam-log-2009-07-20 (16-49-34).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 332895
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 0 minute(s), 11 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MS Track System (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\a00f2cbf1ac.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
c:\Users\Sam\AppData\Local\Temp\_A00F2CBF1AC.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#7 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:03 PM

Ok, next please:

Please run ATF and SAS:
Credits to Boopme

Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

From your regular user account..
Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then SUPERAntiSpyware, Free Home Edition

Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opera browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.
Computer Pro

#8 s4thomas

s4thomas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:10 PM

I am working on doing all of this, but I just wanted to let you know that I am unable to search for updates for SAS because I can only run my computer in safe mode, which doesn't allow me to access the internet. Is there a way around this?

EDIT - Got on long enough to update... Will compete rest of steps and post here.

Edited by s4thomas, 20 July 2009 - 04:14 PM.

#9 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:15 PM

Please try safemode with Networking only to download the updates. then once the program is updated, shut down, restart in regular safe mode, then run a scan
Computer Pro

#10 s4thomas

s4thomas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:05 PM

Took a while, but here it is...

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 07/20/2009 at 07:49 PM

Application Version : 4.26.1006

Core Rules Database Version : 4005
Trace Rules Database Version: 1945

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 02:24:12

Memory items scanned : 293
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 7735
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 229781
File threats detected : 1

Trojan.Unknown Origin
C:\QOOBOX\QUARANTINE\C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TDSSWQSC.DAT.VIR

#11 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:30 PM

Ok and are you still getting the corrupt error messages?
Computer Pro

#12 s4thomas

s4thomas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:40 PM

Yes... I'm getting the blue screen again now, can't turn the computer on unless it is in safe mode. Here is what my blue screen says now:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press f8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x8910C568, 0x8910C6B5, 0x82090400)

Collecting data for crash dump ...
Initializing data for crash dump ...
Beginning dump of physical memory.
Dumping physical memory to disk: 100
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance."

And that's all it says... I did try to restart as per the instructions, but got the same screen again.

#13 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:44 PM

ok, do you have a Windows Vista CD? We are going to need to restore some Windows system files
Computer Pro

#14 s4thomas

s4thomas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:52 PM

I have some recovery disks that HP *just* sent to me... Hopefully this is what I need, although I really don't want to lose all of my data :thumbsup:

I've got System Recovery DVD Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 (INstalling this discwill return your computer's hard disk drive to its original software configuration.)
and I've got
Application and Drivery Recovery CD (Contains software and drivers already installed for software reinstallation and repair only)

#15 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:57 PM

Ok, please do this:

Go to Start->Run-> Then Type sfc /scannow (notice the space between the C and the /). This will start the Windows File System Checker. It may ask for you to insert a CD for Windows Vista. If so, please insert the CD marked "System Recovery DVD Windows Vista Home Premium SP1". If it doesnt prompt you, then there is no need to insert it. Let me know if it prompts or not, and once it is done
Computer Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users