Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

STOPzilla

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 8Bits

8Bits

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:53 AM

What is STOPzilla?
I downloaded it and detected 100's of viruses
I need to register to remove viruses
What should I do?
Is it a rogue software?
I have COMODO CIS and Spybot and it detected nothing!!!
They both are up to date.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:50 AM

I don't think it's a rogue but the feedback here is it's not effective and I don't think most of the members here use it.

#3 Mysterysgames

Mysterysgames

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:59 AM

It' not listed as rogue, but there are a lot of severe complaints and warnings by customers.
I'd rather recommend you SuperAntiSpyware or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Edited by Mysterysgames, 20 July 2009 - 11:01 AM.

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,549 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:19 AM

Wrote this as others were posting.
------------------------
It's a legit anti-spyware/malware and it is commercial software, not freeware. Apparently you have downloaded a free trial and it is accepted practice that in some similar trials you have to pay to remove threats. Charging doesn't make it rogue as long as what it wants to remove is actually malware or some kind of privacy threat. Rogue/fraudware will go to extreme measures to make you believe you are infected when you are not.

That being said, as far as I can tell, it is just not all that good of a scanner--judging from its own description of itself, I haven't tried it out myself. I do know that SuperAnitSpyware and MBAM are freeware and do a great job--probably better than Stopzilla.

I downloaded it and detected 100's of viruses

First it is not an anti-virus and so it won't detect viruses. Most likely it flagged a lot of tracking cookies--which track your internet usage so they can serve ads tailored to your interests, which is not much of a threat except maybe to your privacy.

I have COMODO CIS and Spybot and it detected nothing!!!

Comodo is primarily an antivirus, so it's not surprising that they don't detect tracking cookies--and not even every anti-spyware will do this. Spybot is more of a surprise, but not much so--compared to SAS and MBAM it's just not that good anymore. Try running a scan with SAS and see if you get similar results.

In any event, you can always uninstall Stopzilla as it probably isn't worth the money. That's what trials are for--to see if the program is worth your hard earned money before you part with it.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:05 PM

If your computer is infected/compromised, I would think the last thing you would want to do is enter sensitive financial information. This is not good marketing at all.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:21 PM

What is STOPzilla?

ONE program on MY definitly NOT to recommend or suggest list :flowers:
why ,you may ask.........

I put STOP- zilla onto one of my computers (running Windows 98se) as this forum seems to recommend/endorse its use it ( it is in the ads on this site )

Since so doing I was indudated by the program bombarding me with requests to scan and demand I remove this and that from an apparently heavily infected computer;

I attempted to remove the program but am left with remnants which show on start up

I have yet to sus out how to completely remove it from my computer and nor would I recommend it to anyone :trumpet:

of interest I have found
:inlove:
http://www.exterminate-it.com/malpedia/remove-stopzilla

and typical of what I experienced is

Annoying popups keep appearing on your PC
STOPzilla may swamp your computer with pestering popup ads, even when you're not connected to the Internet

:thumbsup: :)

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:38 PM

as this forum seems to recommend/endorse its use it ( it is in the ads on this site )

When you logoff a security website or clear your cookies you will see a lot of ads, that's what pays for the website.

Usually ads by google, these will often be rogue programs trying to sucker more people in their scams.

It's a widespread problem but don't assume just because an ad is running that the program is endorsed by that website
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 8Bits

8Bits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:41 PM

Thanks a lot for replying very fast

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,523 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 07:26 PM

I put STOP- zilla onto one of my computers (running Windows 98se) as this forum seems to recommend/endorse its use it ( it is in the ads on this site )

Please show me a link or give me some sort of documentation that BleepingComputer.com endorses that product, while you are logged in. Yes there are ads when you visit the site when not logged in. As has been noted in earlier replies here, those ads are placed by Google, not BleepingComputer.com. Please in the future be sure that you verify your facts, before you make suggestions on what products we do or do not endorse.

If you, or for that matter anyone, suspect a rogue application is being advertised, contact one of the admins of this site, so that we can take action to have those ads removed.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users