Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flashing Rectangles on Screen, Computer Freezes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 corsa59

corsa59

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:34 AM

Can anybody assist me with this very unusual problem?

I have a Benq Joybook 2100e Notebook, 2gb memory, and it runs perfectly with one massive exception.

I can start the pc, use it for 5 minutes or 5 hours perfectly, and the second I start Internet Explorer, the screen shows a mass of small rectangles in very neat rows and columns, see the attached photo. Some of the rectangles are flashing, some are still, and the computer freezes completely, nothing will fix it other than a hard reset. Same thing happens on an external screen. Mem-tested the memory, no errors, tried new memory, tried removing the wireless card and using the LAN, same result. This is a completely fresh install of Windows. Installed all the drivers from the Benq website, but they appear to be very old.

It doesn't happen every single time, maybe 70% of the time, sometimes I can use the computer for a while, but it is guaranteed to happen if I open a second window with Explorer.

Anybody seen this before, and has a possible cause? Anybody can tell me the video card in the PC so I can download more current drivers? I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me.

Regards,

David

Attached Files

• Attached File  234s.jpg   99.18KB   16 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:20 AM

Video device driver would be my first guess
http://www.benq.com.sg/support/downloads/d...ads&dtype=D
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 corsa59

corsa59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:30 PM

Thanks Garmanma,

I agree with you, that was my first guess too, but I have downloaded the driver from the Benq website, without success. You will notice the driver is dated 2005. I am thinking the video card/chip in the PC must be used in other PCs also, and there must surely be later drivers somewhere that may work better than the old one on the Benq page. Anybody else got any clues?

Regards, David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users