Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google searches being hijacked

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 cbradley857

cbradley857

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:04 AM

For the last couple of days my google search results have been redirected to a number of other sites, by malware . Ive done scans with numerous antivirus/anti-spyware applications with no luck :thumbup2: .

My HJT log is attached.

Edit: DDS log added

Attached Files

Edited by cbradley857, 20 July 2009 - 09:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:03 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine.

If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.

Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.

If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.
Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.

Thanks and again sorry for the delay.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:
  • Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

" Extinguishing Malware from the world"

The Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.

ALL OTHER HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware! Just click btn_donate_LG.gif

#3 cbradley857

cbradley857
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:29 PM

Yeah Im still having the same problem :thumbup2: tried a couple more anti-malware scans but still nothing :)

Also, while were trying to fix this problem, i have encountered another. My McAfee antivirus is detecting a PUP called firefox.exe in my temp folder, and despite the fact i have deleted it, it appears to be returning. It doesnt seem to be messing with the computer or anything by i suspect it may be spyware.

Thanks.

Edit: New DDS Log attached

Attached Files

Edited by cbradley857, 30 July 2009 - 04:48 PM.

#4 fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Members
  • 6,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:46 AM

Download RootRepeal.zip and unzip it to your Desktop. <<<mirror>>>
  • Double click RootRepeal.exe to start the program
  • Click on the Report tab at the bottom of the program window
  • Click the Scan button
  • In the Select Scan dialog, check:
    • Drivers
    • Files
    • Processes
    • SSDT
    • Stealth Objects
    • Hidden Services
  • Click the OK button
  • In the next dialog, select all drives showing
  • Click OK to start the scan

Note: The scan can take some time. DO NOT run any other programs while the scan is running

• When the scan is complete, the Save Report button will become available
  • Click this and save the report to your Desktop as RootRepeal.txt
  • Go to File, then Exit to close the program
  • Attach the report in your next reply

NEXT

Download this tool to desktop:

http://www2.gmer.net/mbr/mbr.exe

Double click it & post the log it creates on desktop. (mbr.log)

Keep calm, make it simple, use your brain, don't freak out, and you'll be just fine..
Awesomeness: When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead.. True story - Barney Stinson
Posted Image Posted Image
Its gonna be legen.. wait for it.. dary! Cherish the pain, it means you're still alive

#5 cbradley857

cbradley857
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:50 PM

Both logs are attached to this post

Thanks again

Attached Files

#6 fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Members
  • 6,738 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:18 PM

Please make sure you disable ALL of your Antivirus/Antispyware/Firewall before running ComboFix.. Please visit HERE if you don't know how.. Please re-enable them back after performing all steps given..

Please download ComboFix by sUBs from one of the locations below, and save it to your Desktop.Link 2
Link 3
Double click combofix.exe and follow the prompts. Please, never rename Combofix unless instructed.

If ComboFix asked you to install Recovery Console, please do so.. It will be your best interest..

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Post that log and a fresh HijackThis log in your next reply..

Note: DON'T do anything with your computer while ComboFix is running.. Let ComboFix finishes its job..

Keep calm, make it simple, use your brain, don't freak out, and you'll be just fine..
Awesomeness: When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead.. True story - Barney Stinson
Its gonna be legen.. wait for it.. dary! Cherish the pain, it means you're still alive

#7 cbradley857

cbradley857
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:58 AM

Sorry for the delay. Ive noticed over the last couple of days that my searches havnt been getting hijacked as much, but as i havnt done anything that would have fixed it, its probably safer that you take a look to make sure everythings clean. Logs are Attached below

Thanks again

Edit: Got hijacked again today so know i know it hasnt gone away

Attached Files

Edited by cbradley857, 06 August 2009 - 07:39 PM.

#8 fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Members
  • 6,738 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:23 AM

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from HERE or HERE

Note: If you already have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, just run and update it.. Then do a "Perform Full Scan"

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Full Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.
Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

Please run a free online scan with the ESET Online Scanner
Note: You will need to use Internet Explorer for this scan.
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the ActiveX control to install
  • Click Start
  • Make sure that the options Remove found threats and the option Scan unwanted applications is checked
  • Click Scan
    Wait for the scan to finish
  • Use Notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic
How's the computer now? :thumbup2:

#9 fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Members
  • 6,738 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:27 AM

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending the moderating team a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users