Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Culprit.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 warchant

warchant

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:41 AM

Hello all.

First let me apologize if I missed something on the standard procedure to post problems. I am new (obviously).

I have.. what I believe is a sneaky little $@!% somewhere on my computer. I'm usually not a complete bafoon on computers, and tend to keep things running good. I've used multiple different antiviruses and adware scans/tools to try to find the "problems". Mcafee, Norton, Nod32, Spybod S&D, Adware, to name the 5 most recent and common.

Each time, on a full scan, they say everything is fine. However, I'm seeing odd behavior out of my computer.

I am using an older computer, though well maintained. It is a 2.4 dualcore, with 1gig of ram. I dont go downloading and installing all sorts of crap, this computer is primarly used for work and gaming.

Common applications I run (windows XP home), are
Photoshop,
Dreamweaver
Dark age of Camelot (my game addiction:P)
Firefox (I exclusively do not use IE)
Trillian (Chat client)
Microsoft office 2007 suite (word outlook etc)
Corel Draw 12

And other small mismatch programs, like MagicISO and Itunes, etc.

Here's what I see.

1. Performance/speed is slow.

2. The computer can be sitting idol an the CPU usage will spike.

As I write this, I have the Windows Task Manager up and it's running 56 processes and 3-7% CPU usage, just running firefox with 4 tabs (3 for this website, one for yahoo mail).
At times, the cpu usage will spike into the 60-80% range, My processor fan will flip on to full blast, and NOTHING will change in the WTM "Processes" tab, for memory usage. But, I see the graphs on Performance go haywire, like I am starting up a game. This happens randomly, with no apparent prompting on my part.

3. I here a mysterious "click" sound often. It is the sound when you go to a website with IE. However, it happens at random intervals.

For example, As I was typing this, The Browser became unselected (Like if I had clicked onto my desktop, browser is not full screen), I heard that "click", then a moment later, it re-selected my browser.
No new applications were started, No processes changed, Cpu Usage spiked to ~30%.

I'm unsure what to do, or how to fix this. I can not really afford to reformat this computer, and the problems are "tolerable", but they're very irritating and I'd like to know what caused this.

I'm sure more information is needed for someone to be able to provide much advice, and my apologies if I missed reading what else I should post when requesting help. What ever I need to do, just tell me and I'll post whatever I can.

A few other things, I have Cleaned the computer (physically, dust removal etc), Defraged, deleted unused stuff, Uninstalled anything weird, Checked the hard drive, Etc. My main hard drive is 100gigs, I'm using 34 gigs (I'd say 10 of that is just one graphics project), And that 34 *DOES* include the windows XP home OS (Which I think is like 22gigs).

I am running the latest up-to-date software from windows, as well as all anti-virus and spyware definations. I have done full scans regularly.

Below you'll find a HijackThis log.

LOG REMOVED - not allowed in this forum

Thank you kindly for what ever help can be provided, I will be checking this post regularly through the next few days and responding as quickly as possible to anything I need to do.

Thanks again

Edited by garmanma, 20 July 2009 - 11:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:03 AM

My suggestions would be to remove the HJT log.

I don't see anything in the items that you listed...that would convince me that there was a malware situation...HJT logs are for malware situations.

"Odd behavior" is hardly a reason to suspect malware unless those specific behaviors lead logically to suspect malware.

Just my two cents...

Louis

#3 warchant

warchant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:15 AM

My suggestions would be to remove the HJT log.

I don't see anything in the items that you listed...that would convince me that there was a malware situation...HJT logs are for malware situations.

"Odd behavior" is hardly a reason to suspect malware unless those specific behaviors lead logically to suspect malware.

Just my two cents...

Louis

Your 2cents is appreciated, but *SOMETHING* is effecting my computer, and I'm at my end of knowledge on what to do.

What do you suggest doing? Besides reformatting. Thats realistically not an option at the moment.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:11 AM

If you feel that you must submit a HJT log
Pleas follow the directions here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Then post in the proper forum:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/
Good luck
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 4zb4

4zb4

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:42 PM

I have had that clicking problem before in IE. Usually directly after, a pop up appears with a (fake) virus scan thing saying I have 67 infections and would I like to scan to remove them now. Sometimes it doesn't appear in a pop-up and rather takes over the browser window, getting rid of anything that was there. However, It has not happened in firefox.
I suspect it is an adware program that somehow made its way onto your computer, as this is what my one was. Although Firefox is doing a good job of blocking it, thus the click and nothing afterwards.

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:29 PM

The information you just got from hamluis and garmanma is worth mega bucks not 2 cents. Run SUPER ANTI SPYWARE ane Malwarebytes, They may or may not help you but they won't heart you. Computers some times do gooffffy things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users