Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defragging Story

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ZeYusAngelBee

ZeYusAngelBee

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 03 May 2004 - 02:35 PM

:flowers: When my parents first gave me this computer about 2 years ago, it had a ton of cookies and TIFs, I mean thousands of them.

I remember first starting it up and having it take forever just to reboot. It took like 5 minutes to reboot and that was just to get to the desk top.

One day, I was bored to death, so, I decided to poke around on my new toy (then it was new to me, you see). GOOD HEAVENLY DAYS, the C: drive was 80% fragmented, NO WONDER it was incredibly slow.

Not to mention all the cookies, all the TIFs and all the documents my Mother had downloaded onto the A: drive but forgot to erase the empty folders.

I worked and worked on it. First deleting everything that I didn't use, didn't want or couldn't access.

Then, I did a defrag., but I couldn't get it passed 10% defragged no matter in SAFE MODE or not.

It took all day just to get to 10%, so, exhausted, I went to bed letting the thing defrag all night. I figured it'd be done in the morning some 8 hours later, right?

WRONG :trumpet: It had only budged some 40%. I was beside myself.

I said "forget this," and closed the defrag. one way or the other, I was going to get this computer defragged if it took all week.

Using my onboard defrag, that sounded about right........soooooo, I decided to poke around the internet...see, I didn't know boards like this even existed :inlove:

I found a handy little Utility just for the express purpose of defragging my hard drive called DISKKEEPER.

Well, it is trialware but, since you only live once, I figured, what the hay and I downloaded it.

It took 2 hours to defrag that hard drive but I was in love with Diskkeeper :thumbsup:

:cool: OMG, my computer sprang to life.

Suddenly, it boldly went where it didn't go before and fast too :)

DEFRAG your hard drive on a very consistant basis. If not using your onboard defrag, use a great defrag utility.

Thank goodness I found that wonderful little defrag utility or I'd still be sitting here waiting for Windows to finish defragmenting my hard drive <<SIGH>>
~~ZeYusAngelBee~~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Plimsol_*

Guest_Plimsol_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 May 2004 - 02:42 PM

I love your story!!

#3 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2004 - 06:43 AM

:trumpet: Oh, I just love happy endings. Thanks for sharing Deb :thumbsup: :flowers:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#4 magicmunchkin

magicmunchkin

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 07 May 2004 - 12:45 PM

Great story!!! I'm with pandy,there's nothing like a happy ending!!
Magic
Have a Great Day!!!

#5 sardonyx

sardonyx

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:50 PM

you may also use Norton Utilities Speedisk to defrag your drive. it's faster rather than the windows

#6 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 August 2004 - 03:19 PM

Update. Today with NTFS and Huge Hard drive's upove 160gb's there has been alot of test's on defragging's usefullness! Today if you have a 200 gb hard (and it is not partitioned) there is no need to defragment your hard drive, Test have shown there is no improvement in disc performance after defraggin. Yes you would still defrag maybe once every 6 month's but to do every week is useless and expesive. With Windows new file system coming in a year or so it with longhorn, there will be no need to defragment at all. So what will the defrag companies have to sell us then?

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 15 August 2004 - 08:13 PM

Thats great brunt!

#8 pondering

pondering

• Members