Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Emulators

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ravahan

Ravahan

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:03 AM

Hi there, Linux guru's! I just installed Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope this week after taking the distro quiz, and its been very fun getting to know the new OS. There are a lot of things I'm really liking about Linux so far, and its really nice to be able to take full advantage of my 64 bit processor. The speed difference between this and XP is incredible.

One thing I've kind of hit a snag with is emulators. I've got ZNES working just fine, and I can use my Logitech Rumblepad 2 gamepad in that emulator no problem, but so far I've not been able to get a Genesis emulator to even detect it. I've loaded DGen and Gen/GS so far, and while I can open the roms... Well, they're just not worth playing without a controller. Anyone have any suggestions on how I might fix that up?

Also, I've downloaded NESTra, but haven't been able to get that to read any .NES roms so far. Can anyone recomend a better NES emulator? While I don't mind using the prompt to start programs, a GUI is always nice. I'd also love a good PS1 emulator, but that's not as big of a priority-- most of the games I'm longing to play atm are Genesis and NES.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Ravahan

Ravahan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:10 AM

As an update, I hopped into the #ubuntu IRC chat and found a fellow who had a little experience with DGen. He was able to tell me a command to make a config file, and now DGen at least realizes there's something there... but no matter what I do to the Joypad 1 section of the config file, I only have one button that will function and I can't change what it does. Button nine does Start, even if I uncomment button nine and leave it blank or set it to a different button. This says to me that its going to some crazy default, but I've got no idea how to fix that.

I've still not been able to get Gens/GS to notice its plugged in, and I've scoured the support information for Gens. There's information on what to do if the config doesn't go right, but not what to do if it won't detect the controller at all.

And any recommendations on a NES emulator would be appreciated still.

One thing I'm not digging about Linux is what seems like a lack of standardization. Its making it kind of hard to learn the Terminal. I guess it'll come with usage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users