Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall Recommendations??

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 8-bit

8-bit

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:24 AM

Im having trouble with ZoneAlarm so Im looking fo another free firewall app. Any recommendations??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:40 AM

You could simply use Windows Firewall and focus on preventing malware from getting on your computer.

If you want to add some simple outbound protection you could use Sunbelt Personal Firewall or PC Tools Firewall Plus.

And if you want full security at the cost of more complexity there's Online Armor, Comodo Internet Security with the antivirus disabled and Outpost Firewall free.

#3 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:58 AM

Having read the excellent independent reviews at TechSupportAlert I settled on Comodo and Avast, with Sandboxie for all my surfing in Vista.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/pc/security-tools.html

#4 8-bit

8-bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:35 PM

You could simply use Windows Firewall and focus on preventing malware from getting on your computer.

If you want to add some simple outbound protection you could use Sunbelt Personal Firewall or PC Tools Firewall Plus.

And if you want full security at the cost of more complexity there's Online Armor, Comodo Internet Security with the antivirus disabled and Outpost Firewall free.

How can I prevent Malware? I'm using Spybot, is that good enough?

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:42 PM

What problems are you having with ZoneAlarm?

#6 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:40 AM

How can I prevent Malware? I'm using Spybot, is that good enough?

It is essential to have a good antivirus - AntiVir and Avast are great free options.

I also suggest you take some preventive measures against malware by using Firefox with the Adblock Plus and WOT addons as well as OpenDNS.

Superantispyware and Malwarebytes Antimalware are the best on-demand scanners that you should run regularly (e.g. once per week).

Spybot is very outdated and the detection is not what it used to be. But the Immunization does have some use so you can run Spybot on-demand for the immunization if you want.

#7 8-bit

8-bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:52 PM

ZA doesnt seem to like my Nintendo Wifi connection. I'll try using Windows defender and Spybot with AVG anti virus. Will this be enough to block users accessing my PC?

Ive added some of those FireFox add ons as well.

Edited by 8-bit, 21 July 2009 - 01:56 PM.

#8 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:57 AM

I'll try using Windows defender and Spybot with AVG anti virus. Will this be enough to block users accessing my PC?

Although AVG is a reasonable AV AntiVir and Avast are far better choices in terms of detection and resource usage.

#9 8-bit

8-bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:09 PM

Thanks, I'll check Avast out. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users