Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive not being detected

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 secretangel

secretangel

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:25 AM

A few months ago I posted on here because my hard drive wasn't being detected. From searching on the internet I'm not sure the hard drive is actually faulty.

I ended up buying a new PC but was still hoping to be able to access my old hard drive somehow.

I also bought a new hard drive and cable in the hope that I could put this into my old PC as the master and then add my old hard drive as a slave but when I tried to install the new drive into my old PC it wasn't being recognised either, which again leads me to believe the original problem wasn't with the hard drive.

What I would like to try and do is add the old hard drive as a slave in my new PC but where/how do I get another power cable to put into the old hard drive? There is the one that is plugged into the master but how do I power the slave drive?

I have limited repair/maintenance knowledge, I was following instructions from a book to add the new hard drive but am not a total novice either lol

If anyone can point me in the direction of any further guides/instructions on what I should be doing I would be very grateful.

Thanks
Posted Image

When you wanna give up, and your hearts about to break
Remember that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gocards22

gocards22

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:02 AM

Just look and see if there is a loose one hanging in the case. It might be wrapped up near the powersupply. I'm assuming you are refering to an IDE interface, since your refering to Master and Slave Drives. It'll be a white molex connector.

#3 voltronDefender

voltronDefender

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:50 PM

Hi secretangel;

I had a similar problem before. Upon the advice of a friend I bought an external enclosure and installed the hard drive in it. Then I plugged the external enclosure via the usb port to another computer. It read my hard drive. From there I used SeaTools from Seagate to check my hdd if it is faulty. May hdd failed all test including the Short DST-Drive Self Test which is a basic test for all hdd's. I made an RMA and Seagate replaced my faulty hdd with a new one.

I don't know what brand your hdd is but other brands like Western Digital has programs also for testing a drive if it is faulty or not. The tip of gocards22 is correct. The power supply usually has 2-3 white molex connector for IDE and 2 for SATA. If all connectors are occupied you can always buy a molex connector splitter. I use 1 since my old pc doesnt have enough connectors to power a dvd-rw / dvd-rom / 2 IDE's.

If you have connected the power cable and your old hdd is detected you can test it if it is faulty or not. Depending on your brand, there is also a number of good softwares to test a hdd like HDDScan. For Seagate you can download SeaTools for Windows at the Seagate website. There is also a SeaTools for DOS that you can use to test the hdd at boot. For Western Digital they use Data Lifeguard Tools for Windows and Data Lifeguard Tools for DOS which you will use upon boot.

If your hdd is still under warranty, they will replace your hdd free of charge.

I know it is very unfortunate to have an hdd that is not detected. For one you have the files you value (mostly personal) in it and you can't get it. It's kinda depressing when it's like that.

Hope we have helped you.

Regards,

voltronDefender :thumbsup:

#4 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:01 PM

Apologies for the delay in replying.

Thank you for both sets of information. I haven't had a chance to look for the power cable but will do so but also buying an external enclosure for the hard drive sounds a good idea (and one that someone else suggested to me only tonight) so will try that.

Thanks again

:thumbsup:
Posted Image

#5 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:34 PM

OK I have bought an external enclosure for my old hard drive, have connected the enclosure and inserted my old hard drive. It is being recognised but says that I need to format it before using it but doesn't formatting it mean clearing the data off it or is it different in this case?

Obviously the whole point of buying the external enclosure is to access what was on the hard drive.

If I'm way off the mark and it isn't the same thing please advise.

I have run the SeaTools for Windows on the desk and it passed both the short test and the long test.

So basically I need to know how I can access the data on the hard drive as it isn't faulty.

Thank you for helping someone who only has a little knowledge!

:thumbsup:
Posted Image

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:06 PM

Recovery software of your choice seems a logical choice. This is not guaranteed, just the next logical effort to take.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Recovery

Louis

#7 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:20 PM

Thanks Louis - I had just done a search for that before reading your post. Any suggestions of good recovery software to try? From the reviews I have read so far I have just downloaded a free trial of File Scavenger, run the quick search and all the data is there. I'm just not sure how/what to recover as its really just a few photos and documents that I need as most things I had copies of on my external hard drive.
Posted Image

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,280 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:56 PM

I have a license for File Scavenger (probably 3 years old) and have previously used it successfully.

But...I also have a license for GetDataBack - Data Recovery Software - http://runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm and I'm convinced it's the superior application. I've also used it successfully.

There are free alternatives available (which I've never used/tried) which others in the forum have posted favorable comments about, so I will just list the ones which I have saved the links to.

Recovery Software, Partition Table Doctor - http://www.ptdd.com/

Recovery Software, Recover My Files - http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File Recovery - Home - http://www.recuva.com/

Louis

#9 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:33 AM

Well I ended up getting File Scavenger (as I was impatient lol and hadn't read your reply first) but anyway I have successfully recovered all the data I wanted so I'm happy. :thumbsup: :flowers:

I have another question now though. When I originally thought the problem was with my hard drive I bought another one and now am hoping to use this as another drive for back-up by using the external hard drive holder that I had bought. When I plug this into the pc it says that the device driver has been installed successfully and if I go to Safely Remove Hardware the hard drive is listed there but its not being recognised in My Computer.

What do I need to do to get it to be recognised. I have instructions for Windows XP if I was using it as an internal drive but I have Vista on this machine and it is accessed via the USB/External Hard Drive holder rather than being an internal hard drive. Does this make a difference and what do I need to do?

Thanks
Posted Image

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,280 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:20 PM

Well done :thumbsup:.

Well...if the drive is not formatted, it will show up in the BIOS (not an external drive, of course) and it will show up in Disk Management, but it won't show up in My Computer.

A drive which requires recovery software winds up pretty much in the same category as an unformatted drive.

Now that you have recovered the files that you want...I suggest using the appropriate HD manufacturer's diagnostic...to do what we call a "low-level format" of the drive (but it's not really that). This will give you a better headstart on using the drive successfully as an external or secondary drive.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/geom/formatUtilities-c.html

Louis

#11 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:13 PM

Sorry I don't think I was very clear in my last post.

My old hard drive that I have recovered the data from is showing up (via the external hard drive holder connected by usb) but it says it needs formatting before using. Thats OK and I have done that.

My last post referred to a brand new hard drive I had bought (when I thought my original problem was a faulty hard drive) that has never been formatted or partitioned. When I plug the external hard drive holder in it can see the drive (and I can use the "safely remove hardware" option) but it is not being seen in "my computer".

I assume I need to format and partition the drive but do not know how to do this.
Posted Image

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,280 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:38 PM

If you go to Disk Management...the drive should be reflected.

You can partition/format from within Disk Management, in fact that's one of its primary uses.

Once the drive is formatted, it will be reflected in My Computer/Explorer. No drive appears in MC/E unless it's formatted (formatting indicates that the drive is ready for use).

Louis

Initialization Formatting New Drive - http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD

Edited by hamluis, 26 August 2009 - 02:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users