Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Change/Uninstall not avail for all files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 urtempest

urtempest

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:30 AM

I am running XP home. Went to go an uninstall Windows Live OneCare, and this caused the computer to end up in a restart cycle that only allowed it to go to the user log-in screen. Ended up doing a system restore, which solved the restart problem. However. Now that OneCare is gone, or rather the firewall is disabled, the computer is (of course) running poorly. In trying to clean it, I find that the change/remove option in the program remove is only available on a few programs, specifically game files, a useless malware remover, and a couple other programs. I have already tried Microsoft's site, I have searched through your forums, and tried a couple of other things, (line 146 only makes it so I can't access the Add/Remove box at all). I know there is malware on the computer, and I have the free version of AVG. I need to finish cleaning the computer off, but a rather difficult thing to do with the uninstall option not available for the things that need to come off.

If someone catches this and is able to help me out before thing comp goes wacky and I wipe it (again) just to start over, you would be saving me major headache.
Please!!!

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:31 AM

Kelly's line 146 is not your problem if you can see the stuff and just the buttons are missing.

For those buttons to appear, a few things have to be in alignment, but first we need to try to get you free from malware.

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

These programs can be uninstalled later if desired.

When you install a program, hopefully the author will include uninstall information - sometimes not. It does require extra effort.

The uninstall information (what to run to properly uninstall) and control of those buttons is in the registry in an uninstall section. All buttons can be added, removed, just one, display both, etc. but we are not allowed to go there in this forum.

For example, IE7 shows up in Add/Remove Programs but has no uninstall button. This is easily explained and on purpose and you could make an uninstall button appear if you know how, but it is missing on purpose and that example is uninstalled (usually) a different way.

During your troubleshooting, do you recall uninstalling any Yahoo! things - like Yahoo! Browser Service, etc. It has been reported that can sometimes leave the programs in the list for display, but remove the buttons. It is not that the buttons themselves have been "removed", they are just made not to show up anymore.

Ccleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com/) has a Tools section has it's own uninstall button for programs it finds but if you use it, it will just try to run the same uninstall information contained in the registry without you having to go through the XP Add/Remove programs. A popular "solution" that will uninstall (maybe) but does nothing to fix the real problem which is missing buttons.

Another solution is to reinstall the program, but if the program still works (do yours), why reinstall it? Instead, fix the missing button problem.

First, run the malware scans.

Next, answer about a possible removal of anything Yahoo! related connection.

Identify a program or two that you see in Add/Remove programs that you think should have buttons, but does not (IE does not count). Then we can focus on one thing at a time.

Finally, after you install MBAM and SAS, they should both have Remove buttons - see if these newly installed programs have Remove buttons and only your other programs do not. Do they have Remove buttons?

Edited by joseibarra, 20 July 2009 - 07:44 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users