Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer wont recognize SD cards anymore when I go to copy pictures & video.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lee42

Lee42

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:29 PM

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time ever posting for help on this website..or any site for that matter..:thumbsup:
I can usually figure things out for myself but this problem has me stumped!

I have a Gateway eMachine with Windows XP Media center edition. It has a 3.06Ghz processor & 1-1/2 Gb Ram.

And I have a Canon digital camera which uses SD memory cards.

The problem is that whenever I insert an SD card into the slot (on the front of the computer) to transfer pictures and videos that I've taken with my camera, that small window that always pops up asking me "what I want to do" (like copy pictures to my computer using certain programs in the list) stopped popping up.

This has been going on for more than two months now. I have an idea as to why it stopped recognizing the SD cards and I'll try my best to explain why I think that way.

Roughly about six months ago, I started "slimming down" my system by reducing the amount of processes that were loading up which meant freeing up memory to speed things up and increase the load-up time. I've spent countless hours researching each and every process that I saw listed in the Windows Task Manager to find out it's importance to determine if I should "mess with it or not" (for lack of better terms).

It used to have 62 processes running (most were pointless and unnecessary) and now I have it slimmed down to only 37 running....and I haven't noticed any "side-effects" from doing all this *except* for this dilemma I'm asking for help about.

I suspect that somewhere along the line, I accidentally removed a process or disabled a service that controlled my computer's ability to recognize the SD cards whenever I popped one in to copy my pictures.

There have been two different ways that I've been slimming down my system.

One way is by going to Start, Run, typing services.msc, then in the list, reading the name and full description to determine "eligibility" (so to speak), then right clicking, going to Properties, then changing the Startup Type from Automatic to Manual (it's possible I might have changed some to Disable but I can't recall now).

The other way is going to Start, Run, typing msconfig, clicking on the Services tab, choosing from the list, then unchecking the box to the left of it to disable it. I also click on the Startup tab to do the same thing there.

Does anyone know of a way to get my computer back to recognizing the SD cards again? Since I think it has something to do with my slimming down my processes, and given the ways that I've been doing that, what exactly would I need to change to reverse my mistake? But then again, could it be something else entirely that's causing this to happen?

Please help this confused soul...I'd be ever so grateful...:flowers:

Thank you,

Lee

P.S. One last thing I forgot to mention is that I have tried connecting my camera to my computer (via Usb cable) but that doesn't work either. Besides, I never did it that way anyway. I always put the cards in the slot and it used to work fine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:12 AM

Check in the Services & make sure "HID Input Service" is set to Automatic & is started.

While you're there make sure Plug and Play is set to Automatic & started

Do Smart Card also.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:38 AM

Hi fairjoeblue,

I checked the "HID Input Service", Plug and Play, and Smart Card and they're all set at Automatic and started.

I've used 1Gb, 2Gb, and now 4Gb SD cards and I think the problem might have started when I put the first 4Gb SDHC card in the slot reader...it didn't work but after that, none of my older ones worked ever again.

Thanx!

Lee

#4 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:30 AM

Does the scardsvr.exe process have anything to do with recognizing SD cards?

I was researching scardsvr.exe and found out it "provides the authentication facilities for smart security cards" and then I read on Wikipedia.org the explanation of what a Smart Card is (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartcard) and I'm guessing it's like a credit card that has a chip embedded in it...at least that's what I got from reading that article...so now I'm thinking SD cards and Smart cards are totally different things...??

Is there any connection with the two? Or are they two separate things altogether?

Plus, I'd like to be able to disable this process/service if it's unnecessary.

Please somebody enlighten me on this one...:thumbsup:

Thank you

#5 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:27 AM

One more thing, if I were to do a System Restore and go back a few months to a time when the SD cards were recognized then, would that resolve the issue of my SD cards not being recognized??

Thanx!

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:42 AM

First let me say that I don't think your problem is less important then others.

On the issue you are having here is the best advice I have,

Turn it off
Unplug it
Open the case
Look at the power supply
[Shiny box at the top with the wires coming out of it, the wall cord plugs in the back of it]
If it says Bestec on the label I suggest you cange it ASAP !
Most emachine's come with a Bestec power supply
Bestec power supplies are best known for failing & hrying the motherboard in the process.
It sounds like you are having early signs of power problems.
The USB ports power the USB & smart card reader , if there isn't enough power the device simply doesn't work right
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:49 AM

Thanx for the quick reply. I'll take the cover off, and do all that you said. Just one question about Usb ports.

I always thought that SD card readers were a separate thing from the Usb ports. Or are card readers also considered to be Usb ports? Just one more thing, are SD cards also known as Smart Cards?

Thanx again!

#8 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:14 AM

Smart card, SD card , as far as I know they are the same thing.

A card reader attaches to the motherboard just like a USB front port .
The rear USB ports, front USB ports & car reader all get their power through the motherboard from the power supply.
If the power supply is deteriorating [they do] or is having early issues that will eventually lead to failure the motherboard can take enough power to kiip the USB/card reader from working properly.

Emachine is actually a pretty good unit with the exception of the Bestec power supply
The Bestec usually lasts a year or so, goes bad, & fries the motherboard in the process.
The Bestec power supply is what has given emachine's a bad name.
Change the power supply to something decent & they are usually rock solid IF they haven't been damaged by the Bestec.
I know of 1 that had the Bestec power supply replaced the day it was bought.
It's been running almost 24/7 for a few tears without so much as a hiccup.

It just boggles me that a co. would build a decent product in a competitive market & then keep putting 1 junk part in that ruins the brands reputation! :thumbsup:

#9 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:26 AM

Thanx again for your help. I'm going to shop around for a power supply and replace it before it fries the MB.

Mine's been going strong for close to three years...but it could be on the way out the door... :flowers:

I'm grateful for your time you devoted to me... :thumbsup:

#10 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:35 AM

you're welcome.
Hopefully the Bestec has done no damage & all will be well with a fresh power supply.
I find it amazing that your emachine has last over 3 years with the original power supply.

When you shop for a power supply try to get something decent.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

A brand from tier 2 would be good.

#11 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 03:00 AM

Just to update things, I took the side cover off to look at the power supply and didn't see anywhere it saying the Bestec brand. I believe it's a Delta Electronics brand.

I saw on the sticker it only showed a maximum output of 160 watts which sounds weak to me. I'm not into gaming so I don't think I need to replace it with any high watt supply. But I do have two external Seagate hard drives and quite a few other things plugged into the Usb ports...does that make a difference when choosing a power supply?

What do you think is a fair wattage supply? A 300 maybe? And this might sound like a dumb question but does a higher wattage supply help to increase the CPU's performance and the overall speed of the system?

Btw, my eMachine is a Model T5048 in case you wondered.

Thanx a bunch,

Lee

#12 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:18 AM

"I saw on the sticker it only showed a maximum output of 160 watts which sounds weak to me."

Weak is a gross understatement !

It may be a very weak power supply but in my opinion you got lucky it's a weak Delta instead of any kind of Bestec !

Unless you plan on putting a new high end video card in it I'd go with the,

Antec earthwatts EA380 380W Continuous Power

By being rated by "continuous power" instead of "peak power" it is actually stronger then a lot of so called "450 Watt" power supplies.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817371005

As a added bonus the computer should perk up a little when it's actually getting enough power for every thing to work right.

#13 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:10 AM

I did a major Oops! It's not a 160watt..instead it's a 300 watt supply. When I posted about that, I was looking at the label upside down while it was still on the desk still connected up. I disconnected it all, took the CPU 's fan &* shroud off to get a better look (as well as vacuum & clean inside the box) and saw the full label. I took pics of it.

I think the 160 watts was meant for the 5vdc output only....what a goof! It's definitely a 300 watt.

Anyway, I've checked out that link you gave me on the 380Watt power supply. Thanx for that!

I wished there was a way to upload the pics I took of the power supply label that show all it's info...make, model, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users