Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With Microsoft Office Got a Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cgrim29588

cgrim29588

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:39 PM

I downloaded a resume template from Microsoft.com and it is in .dotx file format and according to the directions on the donwload page I'm spouse to:

1. Click Download Now below.
2. In the File Download dialog box, click Save.
3. Select the folder where you want to save the compressed (.cab) file, and then click Save.
4. Open the folder where you saved the compressed file, and then double-click the file.
5. Use one of the following methods to extract the template from the compressed file:
* If the file opens in WinZip or another decompression program, use the program to extract the template from the compressed file. After extracting the file, you can double-click the template to open it in the program it was designed for.
* If the compressed file opens in a regular window, double-click the template file, select the folder where you want to save the template, and then click Extract. Now locate the folder in which you saved the uncompressed template, and then double-click the template to open it.

But when I try to open it I get:

PK ! F G [Content_Types].xml ( ` I%&/m{JJt ` $ؐ@ iG#)*eVe]f @흼{{;N'?\fd lJɞ!Ȭ?~|?"ǿ|{[e^7EGiVbyG|Uޤt|ѼmWm|5j/^d-Y_]eӕE~wogӻjv ?ϳu٦cD >Vf-}r9=Mn̋U 5( 킿 %Q.fy2 قݝZދn拗ujvǛE ϋi> 2@ /"wǐ]

Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:57 AM

A .dotx file is a Word 2007 document template. If you do not have Word 2007, you cannot open this template.

There are converters available, or you can locate a resume template for whatever program you are working with. Remember, there are built-in templates already within Word 2003 if that's what you're using:

File --> New. A New Document menu will appear on the right. Look at the bottom section where Templates is listed. Choose On My Computer. Choose the Other Documents tab. There are several resumes listed there.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:33 PM

Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA100444731033.aspx

Open Office
http://www.openofficedownload.org/ver1a/in...leid=1041572243
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users