Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

connecting computer to television

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lynno62

lynno62

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 11 July 2005 - 01:34 AM

Hi there,

I'm trying to connect my laptop to my television so that I can play a powerpoint presentation through my tv. I have a Toshiba Satellite 1405-S171 Laptop that I bought in 2002. My television is a Sharp 32 inch that was bought in 2003. We bought an s-cable, I think it was, but we must have connected it wrong because it didn't work. I made a powerpoint presentation for my fiance as a gift and I want to play it for him at a BBQ the night before we get married (in less than 2 weeks) and I'm really anxious to get this fixed. Can anyone offer any help? Thanks.

Lynn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 11 July 2005 - 02:03 AM

Have you tried your different video inputs with your remote?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 lynno62

lynno62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2005 - 08:04 AM

Yes, I've tried that but it still doesn't work. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Lynn

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:33 AM

Do you get anything at all? If you get a scrambled picture you may need a digital to analogue converter. If you have more than one S-video jack, make sure that the one you are connected to is a input.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2005 - 10:32 AM

Hi Lynn...not having had my liquid morning fix I wasn't thinking as I normally would be, so disregard the previous response. I called Toshiba and spoke with a technician there, and he tells me that there is no S-video jack on the back of your laptop, but there are RCA output jacks for audio and video. Red and white represent right and left channels audio, and the yellow is the video. I was also told that the output is analogue and that you won't need a A to D converter. Just make sure of your connections and you should be allright... outputs from the computer to inputs on your TV. Let us know if this works please.
I don't know if this phone number is valid in Canada, but you can give it a try.
Toshiba technical support...1-800-457-7777
You can also google Toshiba for this number if this one doesn't work. I'm not trying to shuffle you off, I just know from experience that this type of problem can be solved a lot more efficiently over the phone where quick questions and answers can be given.
The next best thing to a phone call is email, so if you have more questions please email me directly, the address should be available in my profile, if it's not for some reason, send me a pm with your email address and I'll contact you. dc3

Edited by dc3, 11 July 2005 - 10:40 AM.

#6 lynno62

lynno62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for checking on this for me. I did get the music to play this morning on the tv but still no picture. The back of my laptop has only a yellow input which i assumed was for video out. I connected that to video in on the front of my tv but still no luck. I'll try and give Toshiba a call. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again for all of your help!

Lynn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users