Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Prob with ME/XP combo computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 meltedcrayon

meltedcrayon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:50 PM

Very humble apologizies if I am posting in wrong area...........

I have a computer that has XP on the main hard drive. I threw my old hard drive in it and it had ME (which I thought was a slave).
Now the computer opens up with Me and I have no idea how to get back to original. The control panel and My Computer only show the old C drive and doesn't recognize anything else.
Is there some way to boot back to the XP version and then set it so it doesn't happen again ( like remove Me operating system ?)

Thanks for any help. I have tried to restart/restore to previous setting but that is not working........

a very baffled Meltedcrayon........ :thumbsup:

Edited by Pandy, 20 July 2009 - 01:40 AM.
Moved From Windows Startup Programs Database ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:55 AM

Have you tried removing the ME drive altogether?

#3 Ravahan

Ravahan

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:23 AM

You could try to load into the XP Recovery Console via the XP CD and type "fixmbr". That rewrites the master boot record, which should make WinXP the primary boot. Did you make sure you put the jumpers in the right spot on the hard drives (not just plugged it into the slave position in the IDE cable)? Most Hard disks come with a diagram of the jumper configuration printed on them even if you don't have the original paperwork.

If you don't care about what's on the ME drive you could always just reformat it. That would get rid of the ME installation for sure... But then that's assuming there's nothing you need on there. You probably should anyway to put it into NTFS, as FAT32 won't handle files larger than 4 gigs. It should also be possible to copy your files from one drive to another, if there are files you need backed up off the ME drive, through the recovery console.

#4 meltedcrayon

meltedcrayon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:07 PM

To Ravahan and Amazing Andrew,
I couldn't find the start up discs so I removed the ME hard drive and it is up and running.
Thank you both for your feedback/wizardly advice. I really appreciate it !!!!

Thanks again,
meltedcrayon :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users