Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with new PC purchase

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 unclemarine

unclemarine

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:08 PM

I'm about to replace my Dell Dimension 2400, what I,m looking at is the ones listed below. ($450 is my limit).
1. Systemax Ascent KMA3500
with ADM Athlon 64 X2 4400, 2GB DDR2, 160gb hard drive, DVDRW, mouse and keyboard.
Windows Vista Buisness and Windiws XP Pro.
From "Tiger Direct" $399.99 + $19.95 shipping
I like the fact that this come with XP because all my programs are old and may not work on Vista.

2. Compaq Presario SR5710Y (Refurbished)
with ADM Athlon X2 4450e 2.3Ghz, 3Gb DDr2, 250 gb Hdd, DVDRW, mouse and keyboard.
Vista Home Premium.
From "Tiger Direct" $299.99 + $19.95 Shipping.

3. Acer Aspire AX2300-u1794
with ADM Athlon X2 4850E 2.5 gHz, 3gb DDr2, 320 gbHdd. DVDRW, Internal Flash Media Reader, mouse & keyboard.
Vist Home Premium
From "Tiger Direct" $349.96 + $19.95 Shiping.

These 3 seem to fit the bill for me. Any ideas??. Maybe you have some others in my price range that would fit the bill.

Ralph.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,560 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:34 PM

The only comment I have is to check the warranty period on the refurbed system.

Generally a refurb product may have a 1-year warranty (same as original new product, since refurbs are supposed to be returned to that same state functionally.

Go for whatever serves your needs the cheapest. Either of these systems will do fine with mundane computing like many of us do :blink:.

Louis

#3 unclemarine

unclemarine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:04 PM

Thanks Louis:
I am leaning toward the "Systemax Ascent KMA 3500" because of the "XP" OS. I have MS Office 97, Lotus 123, and Word Perfect, all of which are old, and as I've heard they may play on Vista.
Not having heard of the Systemax machine I am some what reluctant to get that one, but I guess I have no choice if "XP is what I need.
The refurb does come with a 1 year warranty.
Ralph

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users