New user here. Looks like a great forum. I'm fairly computer savvy, but this one has me totally stumped.
I have a 2-year-old system, Intel DP965LT mobo, Core2Duo 6420, 2GB Kingston RAM, 1 TB SATA drive, MSI NVidia GeForce 7100GS video, DVD-RW, Win XP Pro, Antec Sonata II case
I never had a problem with this machine until recently. All of a sudden one day, it started shutting down by itself right after the Windows splash screen came up. It always boots ok in safe mode. In normal mode, sometimes it starts ok, sometimes it shuts down. It will shutdown on a fresh start, or on a restart.
As far as I recall, there were no new programs installed just prior to this behavior. There were no hardware changes either. The hard drive is "new" - as in about 4 months old, but this behavior only started 2 weeks ago.
I have tried the following to no avail:
- checked the boot sectors in Windows; reported to be fine.
- replaced the CMOS battery
- removed and re-seated the RAM chips
- updated the BIOS to most recent
- complete virus scans with Avast and Anit-Malware - found some Trojans; removed
- re-installed Windows with a full format
- cleaned out the inside of the case, removed all the dust (it wasn't too bad) and installed a new heatsink/fan (with thermal paste)
The bios reports the CPU at about 47C, and the mobo at about 38C. I don't think this is too hot.
Frankly, I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software problem, but having re-installed Windows now I am pretty convinced it's hardware.
Anyone out there with some ideas? I feel like I've tried everything. When I updated the BIOS it was good for about 5 days, but then it started misbehaving again.
Thanks for any help!
Edited by nmodi, 19 July 2009 - 06:31 PM.