Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB AND OTHER DRIVES NOT WORKING

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:00 PM

Hello all,

I'm having issues with my USB ports not working. All 3 of them and also other things such as camera memory card reader drive. THe good thing is my mouse and keyboard are still working along with my monitor. just all my other ports are not.
The other Drives also no longer appear in MY Computer All this has just happened recently. I have tried restoring to a different time before this happened to no avail. I'm running

Hp with Windows XP SP3. I am experiencing no other issues at this time besides the above stated.

Thanks in advance for any help. :thumbsup:

" Extinguishing Malware from the world"

The Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.

ALL OTHER HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware! Just click btn_donate_LG.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gocards22

gocards22

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:43 PM

What kind of interface do your keyboard and mouse use? PS/2 or USB?

1. Try to boot into safe mode and see if they work.

2. Unplug all USB devices and power off for a minute then back on. Do not power on with any USB devices plugged in.

3. If you have a live CD available with USB support, try to boot from that and see if they work.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:16 PM

You could try going into Device Manager and deleting your USB controllers...then rebooting.

They should reinstall with fresh drivers.

Louis

#4 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:21 PM

What kind of interface do your keyboard and mouse use? PS/2 or USB?

PS/2

1. Try to boot into safe mode and see if they work.

Yes this worked also showed all my other drives under My Computer,such as G: H: I: J:

2. Unplug all USB devices and power off for a minute then back on. Do not power on with any USB devices plugged in.

THis didnt work :thumbsup:

3. If you have a live CD available with USB support, try to boot from that and see if they work.

Sorry dont have.

You could try going into Device Manager and deleting your USB controllers...then rebooting.

I did this already didn't work.It re install the drivers but usb still not working in reg mode only in safemode

The Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.

ALL OTHER HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware! Just click btn_donate_LG.gif

#5 gocards22

gocards22

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:50 AM

Well at least it has been narrowed down to a software issue. Try this fix...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925196

#6 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:57 PM

Hello all,

Thanks gocards22 that fix worked great! :thumbsup: :flowers:
I'm going to save that fix to a flash drive in case this happens again. :trumpet:

This issue has been resolved you may close this topic.

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users