Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help me with windows XP format and reinstall

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 misslolly

misslolly

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:31 PM

Hi! I have been reading for days and have tried literally everything I could find to remove some nast malware from my daughter in laws computer. Bottom line I am tired and very frustraded and just want to do a format and fresh install. Problem is when she bought the computer I came with no CD"S? So Where do I get the Windows XP Home Edition installation CD or downloadable files from?
Thanks so much!
(By the way I need a direct link if possible as I have been to microsofts website and cannot find what I need)
Thanks in advance and Have a GREAT day!
misslolly

Edited by misslolly, 19 July 2009 - 05:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:34 PM

What is the make and model number of the computer?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 misslolly

misslolly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:52 PM

It is an E-Machines EL1200-05W.
Thanks so much for your speedy reply!
misslolly

Edited by misslolly, 19 July 2009 - 05:52 PM.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:06 PM

You may not need the disks to reinstall Windows.

Reboot the computer and press ALT+F10 during startup (before the Windows logo appears). It should take you to "Recovery Management". Follow the prompts to return the computer to its factory condition (Note: all user data will be lost).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 misslolly

misslolly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:14 PM

You may not need the disks to reinstall Windows.

Reboot the computer and press ALT+F10 during startup (before the Windows logo appears). It should take you to "Recovery Management". Follow the prompts to return the computer to its factory condition (Note: all user data will be lost).

Thanks a million! I will try that!
But...... will that get rid of the malware and trojan's and whatever else it has OR will that take a format?
Thanks again!
misslolly

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:19 PM

It's the same as a format so it will clear everything.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 misslolly

misslolly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:27 PM

Oh Thank you , you are a lifesaver! I have litterally worked most all of the weekend on this and have download every kind of malware and spyware killer you can imagine just to think it was fixed and then............ here we would go again!
I will try this in a little while.
Thanks again!
misslolly

#8 misslolly

misslolly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:28 AM

I was able to get this done this morning! Thanks so much for your speedy replies and help!
Have a GREAT day!
misslolly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users