Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Startup problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Nuccetelli

Dave Nuccetelli

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:46 PM

When I startup the computer runs very very slow and after 10 minutes the desktop will load and runs verr slow or will just freeze. Can startup in safe mode and runs fine except for drivers like sound that doesnt load...Any thoughts on what in boot that could be causing and what scans are out there to help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:02 PM

My guess would be that at least one driver is corrupt.

That's not exactly flashing news or anything to build on :thumbsup:. You see, your system has a ton of driver files...some for hardware, some for firewall, some for AV, some for video, etc.

To determine which one (if it's only one) is causing the trouble...is a guessing game without an error message giving clues.

In safe mode, minimal drivers load...so that won't help determining which one.

If you can, I suggest removing the video drivers in Device Manager and rebooting the system. Might as well start with those, IMO....they can be troublemakers on any system.

You might look around for any .dmp files which might exist.

Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

For reference only: How To Debug Driver-Related BSODs - http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=26706&...c634d7238f129e3

Louis

#3 gocards22

gocards22

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:06 PM

Your probably suffering from way too many start-up programs, haven't defragged in ages, need to clear out your temp files, etc. Try the following:

Do you have Windows Defender installed?

If yes, ensure you are logged in under an Administrator Account. Then goto

Start -> Control Panel -> Software Explorers

Once your in the program, make sure you have "Startup Programs" selected as your category. Go through this list and try to determine to the best of your
ability what you want to run on startup. Leave everything listed under Microsoft Corporation as enabled.

Disable anything that you don't want/don't need to load at start up. There are very few programs outside of Core Windows components that you actually NEED to load on start up. If you disable something and later realize you need it, you can go back and re-enable it.

Here is a link to Windows Defender and a Tutorial for it

Alternatively you can install Autoruns by Sysinternals. Here is a link for that program if you don't feel like messing with Windows Defender. It is a bit more advanced then Windows Defender. You can review their website for instructions.

Autoruns by Sysinternals

----------------------------------------------Step 2

Clean your temporary files.

Click My Computer -> Right Click C: -> Select Disk Cleanup

Check Options for Temp Internet Files, Recycle Bin, Temporary Files. Click OK.

----------------------------------------------Step 3

Defrag your HD

Click My Computer -> Right Click C: -> Select from the tab on top Tools -> Defragment Now -> Defragment

Also check out This link from Microsoft for more info on maintaining Windows XP

Edited by gocards22, 19 July 2009 - 04:09 PM.

#4 Dave Nuccetelli

Dave Nuccetelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:04 PM

All the defrag and cleaning was good..... I ran chk disc and selected both boxes and it found the problem and fixed it..this did not work the first time I tried...IE i posted a few months back.....not sure why....I have shut off some of the startup items. Did not know about the Windows defender program...Thanks!!!!

#5 gocards22

gocards22

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:11 PM

All the defrag and cleaning was good..... I ran chk disc and selected both boxes and it found the problem and fixed it..this did not work the first time I tried...IE i posted a few months back.....not sure why....I have shut off some of the startup items. Did not know about the Windows defender program...Thanks!!!!

How is your computer running now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users