Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Resolution

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 murphkid

murphkid

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:16 PM

Hey there. Hope you can help me out on this one!

One of my PC's, (Dell Dimension 3000), recently had problems saying a file was missing, so windows wouldn't start. So, i booted from the win XP pro disc, reinstalled it, etc etc. To cut a long story short, I've managed to recover and back up all my files on a portable HD, but my screen resolution is stuck at 640 by 480 pixels and 16bit colour. The screen resolution slider is still sort of highlighted, and lights up when i roll the cursor over it, but will not drag. The only way i can change the resolution is to go to: Display Properties>Settings>Advanced>Adapter>List All Modes. Here i can select 1024 by 768 (amongst others) but they are all in 8bit which is useless! The only one in 16 is the 640 by 480.

I think this is because of the driver if i am not mistaken? I think its using something called VgaSave at the moment. So i downloaded the monitors driver from dell, but i can't install it! It tells me to go to: DisplayProperties>Settings>Advanced>Monitor and then under Monitor type, click Properties. How ever, the properties button is sort of faded out, so that you can't click it. (I think you know what i mean by faded out aha, that un-clickable un-highlighted sort of thing!).

So i hope you can help me fix this! I've never learnt anything about computers lesson wise and taught myself what i know. As you can see i can just about fix a computer when it crashes like i have done, but my technical and terminology knowledge isn't to great, so this is just confusing me!

Thanks again! Christian.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:24 PM

Try right-clicking on My Computer, select Properties.

Click Hardware tab, push Device Manager button.

Right-click on Display Adapters, update.

General guides:

Installing Hardware Drivers - http://www.optimizingpc.com/install/hardwaredrivers.html

How to update a Windows hardware driver - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-update-a-windows-hardware-driver/

Louis

#3 murphkid

murphkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:36 PM

I don't actually have a "Display Adapters" heading in there. I assume this could be the root of the problem? The driver (VgaSave) is actually under the title "Non-Plug and Play Drivers"
The hardware device is under the heading "Other Devices" with a yellow question mark and exclamation mark next to it. I assume this is the monitor, it's called "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)". I right clicked this and selected update driver. Automatic install did not find anything, so i chose specific location. I chose to search the folder that was created when unzipping the driver download (C:\Dell\Drivers\R74922), and it still doesn't find anything, i click don't search i will choose which driver, select hardware type as Display Adapters etc, still nothing :thumbsup:.
Please help!
Thanks again, Christian.

*sorry just to confirm, when i go to "Have disk", then select the previously extracted .inf file, i just get a message saying "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware."

Edited by murphkid, 19 July 2009 - 05:43 PM.

#4 rj3722139

rj3722139

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:09 PM

New to this forum ...check for some info for you....

Edited by rj3722139, 19 July 2009 - 06:14 PM.

#5 rj3722139

rj3722139

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:11 PM

Hope this can help..............VGASAVE is designed in Microsoft Windows to load automatically when the default designated video card driver does not work, or if a newly installed video card driver refuses to work.

If your graphic card is an adapter then open the Tower and pull the card out . Sometimes the manufacturer will put a name or model number on it. Do a Google search from that info. When you know the manufacturer's name and the model of your card then get the latest driver from their web site.

If the graphic card is integrated (built in the motherboard) then the manufacturer of the board will have an update on their web site for the integrated graphic card

#6 murphkid

murphkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:26 PM

That seems like it could do the trick. The graphics card is intergrated, but i'm not sure how to find the update, or what the motherboard make is?

Thanks, Chris.

#7 murphkid

murphkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:49 PM

YOU WONDERFULL PEOPLE!!! It took a bit more prodding about on the internet, and downloading a couple of incorrect drivers, but after finding out the chipset, and including that in my google serch for the driver, i got the right driver from the intel site! Extreme feeling of satisfaction! THANKS!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:24 PM

Good job :thumbsup:!!

FWIW: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users