Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost wireless internet connectivity after removing malware.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kek

kek

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 02:52 PM

I recently had a virus. I used malwarebytes anti-malware to delete most of the files (except uacinit.dll).
I used combofix to delete uacinit.dll, my system is clean and everything works properly except that my wireless internet will not connect
Of course I tried rebooting and hitting 'repair'. When I do this I get the message that it will not work because "Connecting to the wireless network" cannot be completed.
I tried using winsockfix, winsock2fix, and lspfix (which told me that there were no problems). None of these produced any change.
Right now I'm using an ethernet cable to connect to the internet, which works fine.
However, I've exhausted all the solutions I've found (and understand) on these forums and multiple others. Some help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gareth_f

gareth_f

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:06 PM

What kind of computer do you have? Is the wireless card a PCI card? Can you view any available wireless networks? I would try deleting your wireless card from device manager, and reinstalling it using the latest drivers.

#3 kek

kek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:33 AM

I have an IBM Thinkpad T43, which (according to its online specs) has an internal wireless card. I can view the available wireless networks.
How does one find the latest drivers to reinstall? Is there somewhere that has good step-by-step directions for doing this?
Thank you for your reply :thumbsup:

Edited by kek, 20 July 2009 - 01:35 AM.

#4 steelysteelers23

steelysteelers23

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:16 PM

To find out your wireless card do this:

1. Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Manage"
2. In the left panel click on "Device Manager"
3. Now, in the right panel click on the "+" next to "Network Adapters"
4. The one that says wireless in the name is the card you have

#5 kek

kek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:46 PM

Thanks!
I have a 11 a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapter II.

#6 steelysteelers23

steelysteelers23

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:04 PM

It didn't have a name with it (like Intel)?

#7 kek

kek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:45 PM

No, that's all it says.

#8 gareth_f

gareth_f

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:45 PM

You can most likely find the a good driver from IBM's support website by entering your laptop model number.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users