Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Inoperable

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 smegly

smegly

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 02:37 PM

First of all, thank you for the service you are freely providing. I've read a lot of threads here and you guys are top notch.

Okay, I seem to have rid my friend's computer of multiple viruses. After doing that it was my intention to get that computer up to snuff with regards to security(i.e. - new AV, up-to-date java, etc).

Where I'm stumped is in getting her Windows XP Home Edition to take on updates. She's stuck on SP2. Went to the Microsoft updates page and it listed three items which might need fixing before that page would work. Those items are all listed in the Services window. I went there and under the first listed service, 'Automatic Updates', there was no linked 'Start' text. I guess the file that controls this is missing or corrupted.

I guess I should add that the System Properties window with the Automatic Updates tab has the recommened item selected. But, when going to the Security Center window(via the control panel), the Automatic Updates is showing to be either Off or Disabled(I forget the exact terminology).

To rectify this, my idea is to run the 'scannow' utility and see if the corrupted file can be replaced by either a 1)good copy from her computer, or 2) a copy that my Dell reinstallion disk(Windows XP Media Center Version 2005 with Update Rollup 2) has on it. Both her computer and my computer are Dells. Her's is a Dimension 3000, while mine is an XPS 400.

My two big questions here are; is doing the scannow and good strategy given the problem, and if so, then if she doesn't have a good copy of the relevant OS files on her HDD, can I use my Dell reinstallation DVD to get to her the proper missing/corrupted file(s)?

Any other suggestions are welcome...

Thanks....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gareth_f

gareth_f

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 02:52 PM

Hi smegly. First, I would see if you can get the update service to work in safe mode. If that still doesnt work, I would maybe try installing SP3 as it might fix the problem. You can download it from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details...;displaylang=en

I have never used scannow but if you think its worthwhile give it a shot!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,733 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:47 PM

I would just manually download SP3 and install it from the desktop.

Download details Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package - http://www.microsoft.com/DownLoads/details...;displaylang=en

Windows Xp Service Pack 3 (sp3) Information - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146857/windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3-information/

AumHa Forums Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Installation Guide - http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33296

Louis

#4 gocards22

gocards22

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:22 PM

Try using Dial-a-Fix....

#5 smegly

smegly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:37 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. If I do download the SP3 and install it manually, will that update contain all the interim updates since SP3 came out? If so, great. If not, then I would still be missing any interim security updates, but I suppose that is better than nothing.

Does anyone know if it's okay to try my reinstallation DVD of XP Media Center 2005 with SP2 with the Scannow utility, or would the files on that DVD not be what would be useful to someone with XP Home Edition?

I ask because eventually she needs to get her computer to accept updates.

craig

#6 gocards22

gocards22

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:49 PM

You can also try running microsofts fix-it solution for windows updates

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-us

Let us know if this works.

#7 smegly

smegly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:21 PM

That looks like the ticket. Thanks...

Won't be able to report on whether it works or not until tomorrow earliest and maybe not until Wednesday when I go to the computer in question.

#8 smegly

smegly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:49 PM

That looks like the ticket. Thanks...

Won't be able to report on whether it works or not until tomorrow earliest and maybe not until Wednesday when I go to the computer in question.

Just tried that fix and got an 'Access Denied'. Also manually downloaded the SP3 and run it in the safe mode as 'administrator'. After extraction(but before installation), it recommended NOT running the install in the safe mode unless it wouldn't run in the normal mode. Given that warning, I went ahead and booted up normally and ran it that way. After running for about 45 minutes it stopped and said, 'Access Denied' and then rolled back the update. At one point it did say it did a partial update, however, when I attempted to set the 'Startup Type' in the 'Automatic Updates' in the services menu to 'Automatic' or 'Manual' it came back with 'Access Denied'. I didn't have time to try and run it from the safe mode(it took forever with only 512MB of RAM).

Also attempted to install memory that wasn't accepted. I used the memory selector on the crucial.com site which I assume to be very accurate. But yesterday it was saying PC2700 or PC3200. Today it recommends PC5300. I guess my question is if you place memory that is too fast will that cause a problem or will the system just underclock the memory. This is a Dell Dimension 3100 with a Celeron 2.4Ghz chip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users