Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repairing XP - HELP!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mature Lamb

Mature Lamb

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 10 July 2005 - 11:19 PM

Hi everyone!

I have been reading articles all over the place about repairing XP. I have certain problems such as my taskbar disappeared and Windows Sounds and Flash Movies Sounds not working. I have tried every method on the internet to fix this, but does not work. Although there is 1 method that kept being mentioned which I haven't tried yet because I'm not really sure how to do it. Anyways it said something about make sure the CD boots up before the harddrive? I have no idea what it means. It mentioned I have to configure my BIOS or something, and there was a list of options of what to do with what BIOS. Anyways I dunno what that means, but my BIOS is American Megatrends, Inc. .
I need more information on how to repair my XP with those information I have provided above. Please PM me or post here with more information on how to repair my Windows XP.

Thanks,
Mature Lamb
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 11 July 2005 - 04:28 AM

Hi what it means is that when you put your xp windows in the CD drive make sure that this is the first one to do this.

When your computer starts up keep pushing up and down the delete button or if that does not work, then shut it down and push f2. A scree will come up in front of you this is where you need to go, on the first or second menu, scroll through that and you will come upon a list saying floppy, IDE, WHICH IS YOUR hard drive, or CD.
Look at the different options of how to alter and save, make cd your first, IDE, Second, and floppy the third one. when you have altered them press f10 to save it will ask do you want to save changes n/y press y press enter, and your computer will now carry on as normal.
Now when you come to install windows again PUT your disk in cd drive and it should now recognise it.

I hope that has cleared up one or two points.
:thumbsup: :flowers:

Edited by thedon57, 11 July 2005 - 04:29 AM.

Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 seitsub

seitsub

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 11 July 2005 - 07:12 PM

Hi what it means is that when you put your xp windows in the CD drive make sure that this is the first one to do this.

When your computer starts up keep pushing up and down the delete button or if that does not work, then shut it down and push f2. A scree will come up in front of you this is where you need to go, on the first or second menu, scroll through that and you will come upon a list saying floppy, IDE, WHICH IS YOUR hard drive, or CD.
Look at the different options of how to alter and save, make cd your first, IDE, Second, and floppy the third one. when you have altered them press f10 to save it will ask do you want to save changes n/y press y press enter, and your computer will now carry on as normal.
Now when you come to install windows again PUT  your disk in cd drive and it should now recognise it.

:thumbsup:  :flowers:

Thank you
I have been trying to find out the bios setting for awhile.
Is that the Default?

And I have been a Member for awhile~ But I have not been here for awhile due to Personal Reasons.
Do you know why I can not seem to get into certain areas?

Maybe If I Post again after it being some time it might kick in U think? :trumpet:

One more thing> Do you happen to know what the Complete (everything) regarding the Bios Settings are for Windows Xp Pro?

#4 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:46 PM

Try this before doing the whole repair through the bios and dos.

Click start
Click run
in the box that comes up type(or copy and paste) sfc /scannow
This will open up the windows sytem file checker utility. It will then check all your windows system files for errors, and it will then overwrite the corrupted files.

See this page for more info
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

#5 seitsub

seitsub

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 16 July 2005 - 10:01 PM

Now when you come to install windows again PUT  your disk in cd drive and it should now recognise it.

:thumbsup:  :flowers:

Thank you
I have been trying to find out the bios setting for awhile.
Is that the Default?

And I have been a Member for awhile~ But I have not been here for awhile due to Personal Reasons.
Do you know why I can not seem to get into certain areas?

Maybe If I Post again after it being some time it might kick in U think? :trumpet:

One more thing> Do you happen to know what the Complete (everything) regarding the Bios Settings are for Windows Xp Pro?
))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Try this before doing the whole repair through the bios and dos.

Click start
Click run
in the box that comes up type(or copy and paste) sfc /scannow
This will open up the windows sytem file checker utility. It will then check all your windows system files for errors, and it will then overwrite the corrupted files.

See this page for more info
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Thanks alot guys I will try it as soon as I can

Have a Good Weekend

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users