Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

partition

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mrl636

mrl636

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:39 AM

I have a Sony laptop with Xp home. It has a C: and D: drive. I guessing that it is partitioned. How do I "un-partition"?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:52 AM

Before you do anything...you need to find out why that second partition exists.

Chances are, it wasn't created just to be a fancy decoration in My Computer.

You might check your owner's manual.

Then...if you still want to play with partition management...you may want to look at this free tool: EASEUS Partition Master is a magic partition manager software for Windows 2000-XP-Vista-2003- - http://www.partition-tool.com/

Note that this software will not allow a simple merge of partitions. But it will allow you to resize, move, etc.

One way to eliminate one of the partitions: Move any data (on the unwanted partition) that you want to the other partition, delete the unwanted partition, then increase the size of the remaining partition.

FWIW: I believe that you are actually better off with 2 partitions if you only have 1 hard drive. The two partitions would tend to lessen the chances of total loss of files, in the event that the file system gets botched or the disk has mechanical problems.

Louis

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:55 AM

How big is the D partition ?
A lot of units have a small [8GB or so] reinstallation partition that takes the place of reinstallation disk.
If it is a reinstallation partition you really don't want to change it unless you have a actual reinstallation disk.

[Hamluis beat me eo it while I was typing]

Edited by fairjoeblue, 19 July 2009 - 11:56 AM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users