Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft works and .doc documents

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LaToyaMary

LaToyaMary

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:34 AM

Hi all,

I have a dell inspiron laptop ( it has windows vista ) that came pre-install with microsoft works 8.5. When I first got my laptop, I was able to open any attachments that contain word documents as well as create a word document, save it on my flash drive, use the flash drive somewhere else and come back to my laptop. Now, whenever I try to open an attachment containing a word document or try to open a file using my flash drive, it will not open. I get the error message that works can not open the document and that the file may be corrupted. I know the files aren't though. I uninstall microsoft works 8.5 and installed microsoft works 9.0. It stopped working one day out of the blue and transferring a paper from my job computer to my laptop. :thumbsup: My mother has the same software on the home computer and it works just fine. After installing it, I got the same error message. And, the disk installed microsoft word and office as well. I went to best buy, microsoft. com and no one can seem to help me. I don't want to have to by word when i know this should perfectly fine cause my mom has the same software. I have a lot of online homework that require word. Please Help!!! :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 02:12 PM

Just a suggestion. Why not try Open Office?
It's free and completely compatible with MS Office
http://www.openofficedownload.org/ver1a/in...leid=1041572243
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:18 AM

Another vote for OpenOffice!!

#4 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:11 AM

Hi All,
This is kind of a question for garmanma..., I'm having a similar problem with documents created using MS Works Works Word Processor.

Just lately Windows has started telling me that several of my .wps files are corrupted and cant be opened. My question is "can those files be opened with OpenOffice" if Windows is lying about them being corrupted, and if so how do I do that?"

Thanks to anyone who can help with this.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:30 PM

Try one of these wps viewers
Old
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
New
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:04 AM

Hi garmanma, Thanks for the quick reply. I'm downloading those buggers now and will let you know if they helped.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users