Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with IE8 Download!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sumiq8

sumiq8

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:14 AM

HI,

I have been using IE6 forever and its terrible. If I open more than 10 windows it freezes up or just 'encounters an error' and closes.

I downloaded IE8 yesterday and when I open the set up it installs everything and then I get this error
The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located
in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll

I have no idea what this means. But I really need to get IE8 fast as I have an online business
that requires Internet around the clock.

Can someone give me a different place to download?? xox

Fast replies needed!!!!!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:52 AM

Have you upgraded to SP3 yet?

#3 sumiq8

sumiq8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:52 PM

Hi,

No..what's that?? xo

#4 Mysterysgames

Mysterysgames

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:57 PM

Windows Service Pack 3 :thumbsup:
Have you updated your computer with the latest available Service Pack?

#5 sumiq8

sumiq8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:37 PM

Hi,

NOPE...I have not done that! Could you please tell me how to do that and how to get IE8 on my computer.

Im desperate here. I am a professional journalist and I am consistently late with deadlines. IE6, what I have now, closes without warning taking all of my research with it. Plz help! xoxox

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:26 PM

Very simple. Go to Microsoft Update and it will scan your computer for critical updates including SP3 and IE8 and then download them. Be patient. It will take a while especially if you haven't updated for a while.

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:56 PM

It appears that you are running Windows XP SP1 (or even no SP).

SHRegGetValueW is a function included in SHLWAPI.DLL version 6.00 and later. Which in simple words means that you need at least Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed.

It is not mentioned by you whether you are running 32 bit Windows XP or 64bit Windows.
If you are running 64 bit, its displayed on the boot screen. If you dont see "x64 Edition" when you boot into Windows, you are running 32 bit Windows. Also when you open any folder, then in the menu select Help > About, if you see "x64 Edition" you have XP 64 bit edition, else 32 bit.

Latest service pack for 32 bit Windows XP is SP3. Download SP3 for Windows XP 32 bit:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details...;displaylang=en

Latest service pack for 64 bit Windows XP is SP2. Download SP2 for Windows XP 64 bit:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

#8 sumiq8

sumiq8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:31 AM

Yikes....trying to download 32 bit (I think that's what I have) and it says it will take 15 hours. Is that normal?

Im on dial up and my ISP usually shuts off after 3 hours and redials. Anymore ideas??: xoxo

#9 sumiq8

sumiq8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:33 AM

Ok...just checked window again and it says 29 hours!

Im in Kuwait. Do I need a mirror site?? xoxox

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:18 AM

You can order a CD of SP3 if you want.

Or use a download manager like Free Download Manager (http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/). It will continue to download when you reconnect after hangup.

BUT I guess it would cost a lot of money using a dialup connection, downloading for 30 hours. So better order a CD or ask a friend if they have it.

If your dial up costs not much, then keep downloading. When I had a dial up back in 1998, it costed me a lot and I used to have big telephone bills.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users