Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Skipping and Stuttering Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AJ Young

AJ Young

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:39 AM

I'm desperate to fix my computer - it keeps skipping and stuttering about every 2 seconds. This all started when my Comcast cable modem died and I installed a new one. Comcast will not help me, of course. I found your forum after searching - my problem seems to be VERY similar to this guy's problem: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...rt=#entry913854

His was fixed with a setting to one of his adapters. Mine does not have his same problem.

I have run a virus scan, disk cleanup, disk defragmenter, the checkdisk thing, a windows-based memory test on the RAM, and the HDTuner (results attached) all referenced in that other post. My computer does not seem to have any of those problems. The only wierd thing I have found is that my CD burner creates the blue screen of death when I try to burn a CD. Not sure if this is related to my computer acting up, but I guess it could be. When I try to format a CD, it gives an error: BAD_POOL_HEADER.

There are also some events on eventvwr but I am not sure if any are significant.

Does anyone have an idea for more diagnostics or as to what possible setting could be off as a result of the new cable modem's installation?

I am running a DELL XPS M1210
Windows XP Pro - Version 2002 service pack 3
Intel Core Duo at 1.83Ghz
1.99 GB of RAM

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:55 AM

Did you use ANY Comcast software when you installed the modem?

#3 AJ Young

AJ Young
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:10 PM

I did - which I have since sucessfully uninstalled (in an effort to uninstall the modem), but it has not helped or hurt the problem. That software was called Comcast High Speed Internet. I cannot seem to find any Thomson-RCA software directly, though (modem is a Thomson-RCA DCM425).

I do have the same skipping stuttering problem even if I am completely disconnecting from the internet.

One thing about the modem is that the manual that came with says it should be showing in the hardware device configuration under the Network Adapters, but mine is not. It refers me to page 35 for troubleshooting, but pages 28-45 are missing from the manual, so that is no good. I emailed the manufacturer but unsurprisingly have not heard back. Here is the manual's quotation:

"The Thomson cable modem installation is now complete. To validate a proper installation,
perform the following instructions:
• Click on the “Start” icon in the lower left-hand corner of your screen.
• Select “Settings,” followed by “Control Panel.” The “Control Panel” window will appear.
• Double-click on the “System” icon, and select the “Device Manager.”
• Scroll down the list until you come to “Network Adapters.” Double-click on “Network
Adapters.”
• The “RCA or Thomson USB Cable Modem” should exist. If “RCA or Thomson USB Cable
Modem” does not exist, the cable modem was NOT installed correctly. Go to Solution 2 on
page 35."

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:32 PM

Oh dear... I have no help at this time, but have Comcast and not that modem, so I searched around a bit and found a manual.

It is from the oh-fishal Thomson site and goes from page 28 right to page 42. All the troubleshooting section is missing.

There is a great section called:

Placing the Rubber Feet on the Cable Modem

I am not finished looking yet.

I have zero Comcast software installed and I think when I asked them about where is this "Comcast High Speed Internet" stuff, they just told me I had it with my broadband (cable) connection - nothing to install.

I promptly uninstalled their free McAfee software and if you have that installed from them, I would encourage you to do the same. You need protection from malicious software, but that ain't my first choice. It is a system resource hog and never found a darn thing. If you have it, disable it, uninstall it but my system was never the same while it was running. "Hated it" is putting it mildly. You can always reinstall it later, but it would be a good troubleshooting step.

My setup here comes in on the coax cable, to a Comcast branded (Linksys) wireless router and I have two laptops with wireless built in and one desktop with a Linksys wireless adapter connected via USB port.

My wireless connection does show up in DM under Network Adapters - does yours have any ?s, !s or Xs in that area?

If you are stuttering and not connected to the Internet there are other things to try to figure that out after more information is gathered.

The big question is did you stuttering start on or about the time you got this modem going or did you have it before?

If you think it has something to do with Comcast or any of their software, Comcast has Live Chat, which may help - ask them where is my manual and send it to me now.

Usually it is better to talk to a human and that might take a couple tries to get the right person to help you and sitting in front of your machine is the only good idea when that finally occurs. Could be a simple tweak that they are very familiar with (I would still ditch McAfee no matter what they say).

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 AJ Young

AJ Young
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:43 PM

Thanks for the suggestions!

I spoke several times to Comcast and their answer is that since I am connected to the internet, there is nothing they can offer for troubleshooting.
I told them about the manual and they did not really care either.

The stuttering was non-existent until I installed this modem which is what leads me to believe there is some hardware switch messed up somewhere. Maybe I will Comcast again and ask to speak with a supervisor. I did not install the McAffee and no longer have their software on my machine, so I think I can rule that out. Like I said, all system checks seem to indicate the computer id fine (which is a such a joke when you see me trying to move the mouse and click on something).

All is swell on the wireless front - I see the adapter listed and it has been working well.

any other suggestions?

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:55 AM

The reason I asked about the software is because it is not neccessary to install it unless the modem is a usb connection.
Comcast doesn't have a very good track record when it comes to their software. I do hope that if the Comcast toolbar was installed you also uninstalled it. That toolbar is very flaky and has caused problems for a lot of people.

I do have one suggestion. I want to direct you to the Comcast help forums. Those forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet, cable tv, and CDV.
Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't. Hopefully someone will be able to help you sort out your issue. If neccessary, a forum admin can be notified of your post and will do his best to help you resolve the issue. It's mainly customers helping other customers and the majority of us are dedicated to helping with issues.

Click the link below, you'll be sent to the sign in page. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before comcast.net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken to the actual forums.

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/

Post your issue in the appropriate forum. Include the name/model number of your modem.

(Once you get to the forum, save the page to your favorites. If you want to get to it from the Comcast home page, you have to jump through hoops to reach it)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 20 July 2009 - 01:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users